This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volte on the ROG Phone 2

Jango52517
Star III
After hours of research I found out that it seems that the ROG Phone 2 has the hardware necessary for Volte and band 71. I understand that ASUS may have their reasons for not wanting to get certified but realistically 99% of people would rather just get a different phone as opposed to switching carriers. What are the odds that ASUS could get the ROG 2 certified and get Volte enabled and band 71 supported? I genuinely want to keep this phone but realistically I don't think i can, I might have yo return it if Asus decides to refuse to care about its customers and products... I love the company but this is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth like it is for many others.

TLDR: What are the odds of getting Volte and band 71 on the ROG Phone 2?
23 REPLIES 23

duy_h_vu
Rising Star I
It's just a little bit of click here and there in the firmware. But mod is already answer on this issue. Sound more like a legal issue than a technical one. 😞

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
duy.h.vu

It's just a little bit of click here and there in the firmware. But mod is already answer on this issue. Sound more like a legal issue than a technical one. 😞

View post
Yea but ASUS isn't the only brand affected by this. So let's wait and hope.

leafy
Star III
Don't only blame asus
Volte requires paying certification per carrier per phone unlike 3g, and monopolistic carriers (read: most carriers) will overcharge oem manifacturers, with some leaks stating as much as a million $ to get certification.
Given that, it may be more prudent finacially-wise for them to only release 4g data + 3g calls.
Without knowing the exact oem charges it would be impossible to be certain. Most certainly such info would be under strictest NDA if only to shift PR blame onto OEM rather than carriers. But if it were reasonably priced for asus they would have included it.
The mods here r probably either too low ranked to know or under NDA. Don't expect much from thrm
So, unless we get lucky with a leak, won't know.

ZT-24e7d75a
Star III
Google XDA ROG phone 2 to get to the XDA development forum, there are work around to get VoLTE working on T-Mobile and ATT