This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen is unresponsive although phone still functions

el_pedro7
Star II
I've experienced a couple instances of the phone's screen being stuck off, yet I can tell that the phone turns on when I double tap on the screen, or when I click the on button, as I can feel haptic feedback as expected from using my pattern security. Unit is a global 12/512 model.
In my experience, this usually happens when I charge the phone, using the original ASUS 30W Charging brick and USB-C to C charging cable. I've noticed this happen before, unrelated to charging, but it has not happened like that for a very long time now. The only times I find this happen is when charging and usually it will stop working once the % gets to around 50-60% which leads me to believe it could be due to the heat caused by hyper charging which is typically at its maximum around the middle %.
After the screen is blacked out, it does not come back on unless I hold down power button and volume down to soft reset the phone.
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar at all? I was originally planning on waiting for Android 10 to come out as I thought maybe it was a software bug, but today even after unplugging the cable and soft resetting it blacked out again shortly after I unlocked the phone, requiring me to reset the phone again using power and volume down.
5 REPLIES 5

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
el.pedro7

I've experienced a couple instances of the phone's screen being stuck off, yet I can tell that the phone turns on when I double tap on the screen, or when I click the on button, as I can feel haptic feedback as expected from using my pattern security. Unit is a global 12/512 model.

In my experience, this usually happens when I charge the phone, using the original ASUS 30W Charging brick and USB-C to C charging cable. I've noticed this happen before, unrelated to charging, but it has not happened like that for a very long time now. The only times I find this happen is when charging and usually it will stop working once the % gets to around 50-60% which leads me to believe it could be due to the heat caused by hyper charging which is typically at its maximum around the middle %.

After the screen is blacked out, it does not come back on unless I hold down power button and volume down to soft reset the phone.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar at all? I was originally planning on waiting for Android 10 to come out as I thought maybe it was a software bug, but today even after unplugging the cable and soft resetting it blacked out again shortly after I unlocked the phone, requiring me to reset the phone again using power and volume down.

I am not experiencing this problem on the ROG phone 2 but I had a similar event with my old LG V20 but it happens once in a blue moon and I had to remove the battery and turn it on again. I have no explanation for this but I guess it does happen in other phones too. sometimes....not every time..

maczugapl
Star II
el.pedro7

If you are at WW.44 at this moment you might be experiencing a lock screen bug, where phone is working, but screen refuses to process any input. Check your current version, if it's the one I mentioned - update to version 64 which fixes that bug.

el_pedro7
Star II
No, different bug. I experienced that too, which did not prevent the screen from turning on, just didn't register touches. I am also already on .64.

el_pedro7
Star II
Tried charging again with 30W charger but this time I didn't touch it until 75%. Turned on ok, no problems. Any chance this could be fixed in Android 10?