This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen blackout caused by high GPU usage (Genshin Impact)

eugeneus_genius
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG 2
Firmware Version: WW_16.0631.1910.64_0
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: VERY FREQUENT
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Genshin Impact. v1.0.0_1112729_1135452 may have impact on other GPU intensive game
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Playing Genshin Impact the other day with the highest settings with 60fps.
Turned on realtime info and measured these parameter:
Device temp: <40°
Cpu usage: 20-50%
GPU usage: 70-90%
Screen black out when GPU usage reaches >70% usage. Device temperature is about 38°. To reset - lock screen and let GPU rest then unlock and resume gaming. Unplayable at highest settings.
Tried the settings on medium setting with 30fps. Once the GPU usage reaches a >70% screen will blackout within 1min.
Tried this with lowest settings with 30fps. GPU usage: 40-50% Have not experienced any blackouts using lowest settings. Have been playing with lowest settings since. Not acceptable considering rog 2 is a gaming phone.
*I am aware of the closed thread about screen blackout and the advice that we users are suppose to send the device to sc. However that issue is related to device temp: my issue is GPU usage related. So I'm opening this thread for awareness and discussion.

14 REPLIES 14

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
eugeneus.genius

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121292#Comment_121292

A10 seems like a downgrade then.. such a shame.

Either way i think ill drop by a nearby sc to check out my device. Mine's a tencent edition and i dont live in China. Hope since the warranty on my device is still til Nov - i will not have to fork anything to get any replacements.

Thanks btw.

View post
Currently you might argue that, but given some time A10 will probably be superior to A9. I'd wait a bit until the issues have been fixed then upgrading to A10. Wish you luck with the visit at the sc, since you have warranty I doubt it will cost you anything.

eugeneus_genius
Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121315#Comment_121315

Currently you might argue that, but given some time A10 will probably be superior to A9. I'd wait a bit until the issues have been fixed then upgrading to A10. Wish you luck with the visit at the sc, since you have warranty I doubt it will cost you anything.

View post
Unfortunately my local sc won't accept Tencent edition rog 2 for repairs. Their workaround is for me to contact china support. This will be a long winded issue .. sigh.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
eugeneus.genius

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/121384#Comment_121384

Unfortunately my local sc won't accept Tencent edition rog 2 for repairs. Their workaround is for me to contact china support. This will be a long winded issue .. sigh.

View post
This seems to be a running theme around here, everyone having the tencent version seem to have problems when it comes to support and RMA. I have the int. version of the rog3 and my RMA with an actual defect on the screen was swift and painles, while other tencent buyers have massive problems when it comes to RMA. I'm not sure why the tencent version is treated like an entirely different phone, maybe you can contact Asus support and ask them what is going on with the tencent version. It would be nice if you could keep us updated as I'm quite curious about the whole tencent support relationship.

EDIT: on further digging, it seems that the tencent versions offer no warranty at all. Even on the new Rog3:
noypigeeks.com/comparison/asus-rog-phone-3-global-vs-tencent-edition/

sauravshanbhogu
Rising Star II
Well it maybe the case as @nightmaster552 mentioned but personally I feel that this is totally related to and is triggered when the device reaches a certain temp. Also there is no workaround for this as slowly the problem worsens. I have not completely read what nightmaster552 has written but from my personal observations I can assure you that it has nothing to do with GPU , CPU USAGE as this problem can be triggered even when device is idle ( i.e in this case for example sitting in the PUBGM lobby with no match being played) . When I say idle I am talking about placing the phone on the table in a room with no fans /Air conditioning .
I would never face this issue even I played PUBGM 90fps + HD + Anti Aliasing in an air conditioned room . Even for hours.( Tested )
But if it is the other way around with me chilling in the training ground/ lobby ( i.e low cpu/GPU usage ) with no fans / AC running + ambient temp being hot this issue will be triggered within 5 mins. Also it triggers at a specific temp ( which again important to note ,differs for different people/ambient temperature )
So I strongly feel that it is related to temp.
Cheers.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
sauravshanbhogue

Well it maybe the case as @nightmaster552 mentioned but personally I feel that this is totally related to and is triggered when the device reaches a certain temp. Also there is no workaround for this as slowly the problem worsens. I have not completely read what nightmaster552 has written but from my personal observations I can assure you that it has nothing to do with GPU , CPU USAGE as this problem can be triggered even when device is idle ( i.e in this case for example sitting in the PUBGM lobby with no match being played) . When I say idle I am talking about placing the phone on the table in a room with no fans /Air conditioning .

I would never face this issue even I played PUBGM 90fps + HD + Anti Aliasing in an air conditioned room . Even for hours.( Tested )

But if it is the other way around with me chilling in the training ground/ lobby ( i.e low cpu/GPU usage ) with no fans / AC running + ambient temp being hot this issue will be triggered within 5 mins. Also it triggers at a specific temp ( which again important to note ,differs for different people/ambient temperature )

So I strongly feel that it is related to temp.

Cheers.

View post
For future reference, these shut down/restart/black out/freeze issues should always be handled by local support. If it's a Tencent device and you don't live in China, then you need to take it with your dealer.