This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Phone 8 AT&T no calls

GilroyPro
Star III

Got the global version of the ROG Phone 8 Pro. Can't make call through AT&T. Any estimate on a firmware update to address this issue like maybe nearing along side the US version when that comes out. A firmware update can fix this as I have experienced this before when upgrading to the next ROG phones

17 REPLIES 17

@doubleyoueff  Man sorry to tell you this but even though you bought through amazon, the "ships from" section should say Mobile advance. It is one of the only 2 official retailers for Asus in the US aside from the US Asus store itself, the other being Abt. The screen shot you showed says gsmhero. Not an authorized retailer, even more the price is higher than the normal 1199.99 the 512gb version sells for. When buying in amazon if the section that says "ships from" doesn't say Mobile advance, you have to go to the part of the webpage that says "Other sellers" and select Mobile advance.

The listing says the US version, but the seller should be mobile advance.  There is a decent chance you bought a Chinese or global version that got flashed with the US ROM, and payed more money to boot. If that were the case, it would not have all the bands the US version possesses. Since that is hardware and not software based. And that could explain your problems using AT&T.

I think the more damming thing is that it says non-returnable due to hazmat safety reasons. If Bought from Mobile advance, Asus, Abt or mobile advance via amazon, the phone should be returnable for up to 30 days.

In reality the "amazon" link is just the ability to buy from mobile advance but pay through amazon since it often makes payment easier, because people have their cards saved there. It is also the reason why in the actual Mobile advance website, it gives you the option to use amazon pay, to simplify the process.

Sorry about this man.

Edit: Additionally, the phones shouldn't start shipping to US customers until March 11 to March 31st. The fact you already have it on hand tells me that it is even more likely that it is a seller that got global/tecent versions and flashed the US ROM to sell it before the official date at an inflated price.

I might be wrong about this and there is a chance you could have an actual US version. But the evidence points elsewhere.

Gtoonm
Rising Star I

Man sorry to tell you this but even though you bought through amazon, the "ships from" section should say Mobile advance. It is one of the only 2 official retailers for Asus in the US aside from the US Asus store itself, the other being Abt. The screen shot you showed says gsmhero. Not an authorized retailer, even more the price is higher than the normal 1199.99 the 512gb version sells for. When buying in amazon if the section that says "ships from" doesn't say Mobile advance, you have to go to the part of the webpage that says "Other sellers" and select Mobile advance.

The listing says the US version, but the seller should be mobile advance.  There is a decent chance you bought a Chinese or global version that got flashed with the US ROM, and payed more money to boot. If that were the case, it would not have all the bands the US version possesses. Since that is hardware and not software based. And that could explain your problems using AT&T.

I think the more damming thing is that it says non-returnable due to hazmat safety reasons. If Bought from Mobile advance, Asus, Abt or mobile advance via amazon, the phone should be returnable for up to 30 days.

In reality the "amazon" link is just the ability to buy from mobile advance but pay through amazon since it often makes payment easier, because people have their cards saved there. It is also the reason why in the actual Mobile advance website, it gives you the option to use amazon pay, to simplify the process.

Sorry about this man.

Edit: Additionally, the phones shouldn't start shipping to US customers until March 11 to March 31st. The fact you already have it on hand tells me that it is even more likely that it is a seller that got global/tecent versions and flashed the US ROM to sell it before the official date at an inflated price.

I might be wrong about this and there is a chance you could have an actual US version. But the evidence points elsewhere.

Jay_ROG6
Star III

Having Amazon as a retailer on ASUS United States official website is very misleading when you click on Amazon to buy it we think that this is an official retailer and that's what we are doing buying it from there turns out to be just a store. I'm returning my phone tomorrow for a full refund. Honestly I don't feel like dealing with ROG anymore. My excitement for the new phone is killed to be honest. Me paying almost $1,300 for this phone that I was referred to by Asus official website and getting it not working is really frustrating.

I think part of the blame is also on Amazon. From Asus perspective they are simply linking a different payment method from an official retailer of them.

Amazon is the one that allows multiple sellers to be chosen for a single product, and my guess is that like you many bought from them so they always have it as the first and default option, even though they are no the official one. This has happened in other products when buying on amazon where often, the better performing seller is the one shown preference rather than the official or cheaper one.

Since you and maybe others bought from those sellers first, amazon took them as the better performing and put them on top( in addition to the fact the official seller did not start accepting orders until Feb29). And I don't think Asus had much to do about it, since I've seen this happen to otehr brands like AMD, Sony and even for some Samsung accessories.

I understand your frustration, but if it was me I would try and buy it again from either the Asus Store, Mobile advance or make sure the amazon seller is listen as Mobile advance, of course that is if you get your refund.

I don't want to blame you at all, but one should be more informed about all the details when buying a product. This is my first time buying an ROG and I learnt this all by myself and looking around before it even was announced. From users that got it first, otehr anecdotal evidence and many posts.

Don't let a bad purchase sour your opinion. If you get the money back, then its no harm done. And if you decide to get it again then it will be a learning opportunity.

Also, a small advice. If you purchase directly from the Asus US website, you get the Aeroactive cooler X free with the 512gb version, you are sure it is compatible with At&T as it states it on the description. And I think you also get a free case.

Here's the link so you don't make any mistake. This is US version, directly from the US Asus website themselves.

https://shop.asus.com/us/90ai00n3-m00170-rog-phone-8-pro.html

Thanks for the link the cooler being included is a bonus. These bastards on Amazon are essentially scam artists. If I can't send it back and get refunded after jumping through hoops with Amazon customer support I'm probably gonna take a 500$ hit and have to dump this thing on eBay to salvage whatever I can from this situation. Totally BS that the Amazon  listing says Asus store US version works with AT&T and