This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 7 will not work in Australia from Aug 31 on Telstra or Optus networks

Coastal_Guy
Star I

Hi, I have a Rog 7 just 13 months old.  I started getting recorded announcements on my phone every time I make calls stating that after August 31, "When Telstra's 3G network closes, this phone will not be able to make calls, including emergency calls".

This did not make sense to me initially, because the phone supports 3G, 4G and 5G.  When I investigated, it is because 4G in Australia uses Voice Over LTE (VoLTE), and apparently the Rog 7 doesn't.  I contacted ASUS and this is what they said:

"Please be advised that Telstra and Optus require additional support from those providers, with no ETA or current plans to support other carriers on those firmware.  Therefore, VoLTE and VoWIFI for older versions for example the ROG Phone 6, 7 and 8 is only supported for customers using Vodafone service."

Vodafone does not have great coverage where I am, on the VF website you can input your address and phone and it advises if you have coverage.  However, you need to input your phone, and VF does not even have Rog 7 or ASUS phones on it's list, so I am doubtful switching will help. 

The phone was expensive, I have regrets that just over 12 months after buying it I will have to ditch it.

1 REPLY 1

kmcmurtrie
Rising Star I

ROG 8 is an older phone now?