This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having weird camera issues/crashes... any fix?

DZHEX
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: AI2201_C
Firmware Version:32.2810.2208.163
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: recently/always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I just tried taking some pictures and the camera view started getting inverted and in a blue tone.
img-20220915-204410.jpg
img-20220915-204403.jpg
The phone was not moved between the pictures and the picture was not edited. This was happening with both, the default camera app and OpenCamera (why can we not use gamegenie to assign airtriggers to default camera actions, again?). Eventually the camera hanged and the phone rebooted. What's going on?
I updated the software recently, not sure if I used the camera until now after updating.
Edit: Forgot to mention that this happened first time after launching OpenCamera via squeeze gesture while the phone was locked, and it behaved... weirdly, not sure how it happened (I jumped up from a sofa to take the picture and got "flashbanged", so I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened and how 😅). I was unable to zoom out for some reason.
Edit: I am hearing some sort of clicking while the camera is active. I made sure that it isn't the horizon signal.
59 REPLIES 59

evildante63
Star II
DZHEX

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: AI2201_C
  2. Firmware Version:32.2810.2208.163
  3. Rooted or not: not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: recently/always
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

I just tried taking some pictures and the camera view started getting inverted and in a blue tone.

img-20220915-204410.jpg

img-20220915-204403.jpg

The phone was not moved between the pictures and the picture was not edited. This was happening with both, the default camera app and OpenCamera (why can we not use gamegenie to assign airtriggers to default camera actions, again?). Eventually the camera hanged and the phone rebooted. What's going on?

I updated the software recently, not sure if I used the camera until now after updating.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this happened first time after launching OpenCamera via squeeze gesture while the phone was locked, and it behaved... weirdly, not sure how it happened (I jumped up from a sofa to take the picture and got "flashbanged", so I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened and how 😅). I was unable to zoom out for some reason.

Edit: I am hearing some sort of clicking while the camera is active. I made sure that it isn't the horizon signal.

Having weird camera issues/crashes... any fix?
I had the same, I was recording a long video and it happened, after long thinking, I remembered a similar situation with long time recording on Samsung phone, the only difference is that Samsung pops up message "Camera is too hot" and the solution would either let it cool or cool it down yourself (put it in front of cold air or in the fridge, the aerocooler won't do a think to the camera, so no to that)...
So I put my phone camera in the direction of cold air coming from the air conditioning, after 5 mins, I touched the camera lens and it was cold,turned on the camera, it's working fine...
Conclusion, Asus didn't handle Camera heat condition, if hot then turn off, so right now, due to the heat, it is possible to damage the camera module without even knowing...

evildante63
Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228529#Comment_228529

So basicially you cant take long videos.

View post
Correct, you can't take long videos...

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
evildante63

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63972/having-weird-camera-issues-crashes-any-fix

I had the same, I was recording a long video and it happened, after long thinking, I remembered a similar situation with long time recording on Samsung phone, the only difference is that Samsung pops up message "Camera is too hot" and the solution would either let it cool or cool it down yourself (put it in front of cold air or in the fridge, the aerocooler won't do a think to the camera, so no to that)...

So I put my phone camera in the direction of cold air coming from the air conditioning, after 5 mins, I touched the camera lens and it was cold,turned on the camera, it's working fine...

Conclusion, Asus didn't handle Camera heat condition, if hot then turn off, so right now, due to the heat, it is possible to damage the camera module without even knowing...

View post
Nah, they shove way to much voltage or current into the camera module. Badly specced power delivery components is the probable cause. Its not a sony where you record HDR footage, its just normal video recording.

DZHEX
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/228706#Comment_228706

The reason for that is because the fingerprint reader is super cheap. Unlike the Rog3 which had a large but still mediocre fingerprint sensor, the Rog6 has a tiny reader that is then magnified to a bigger area, this decreases its performance and reliability drasticly, I assume ASUS had to patch it to make it more "accurate", hence the bad performance now. I suggest re registering your fingerprints for now.

Also:

"will be taking lots of pictures lol"

🤣

View post
Nope, it keeps saying "Fingerprint moved too fast". So AFAICT, they either made it so accurate that it's seeing noise, or the two issues seem to be connected.
And yes, I did enroll another fingerprint, it also kept telling me that the fingerprint moved too fast while I was doing that.
Either way, I will most likely go to a store to return the phone on friday, after doing every backup I can think of.
I'm also seeing that buying the Sony would also include the WH1000XM4B headphones... Not quite my first choice, but it does sweeten the pot quite a lot, despite me already having some headphones, and makes me kick myself even more for not going with the sony...

zaku
Star I
Sadly i can not return mine (bought 3 weeks ago)
My issues started with .163 software and right now on .165 nothing changed. Issues: black screen and clicking noises on camera. I can use front camera when i register my face for security unlock. Another issue is with fingerprint sensor, it says i take finger too fast (which is not true)
To be honest i made only 3 videos (1080p 60fps) 30-50 sec and maybe 10 photos since i bought this phone? And it was not in hot weather (i think it was arround 15c with wind)
I will send it for warranty... But asus to be honest have cruel rules - no replacement phone for repair time and up to 45 days to repair...

Attaching wideo with my issue with camera