This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential cause of completely dead Rog5 phones

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
First of all I want to mention this is a theory, but it seems to be rather solid and would like to ask people to give some information regarding their Rog5 phones death.
So as you guys know it isnt exacly unusual to kill your Rog5, every time one of these phones die they have been shorted. Today I had a talk with a guy on my discord and I explained to him how the modes work on a charger and a phone, however I was unsure which voltages the Rog3 supported so I took a look on the charger and there I found a potential culprit for our issue.
It seems the charger supports 20v mode, which is way to much for any phone to handle to my knowledge, if a powersurge like that gets blasted through the phone no wonder it will destroy the power IC.
As some people know, there is a certain communication between a charger and a phone, meaning the phones IC will tell the charger which mode to use and the charger will comply, however if this communication messes up, it can result in a catastropihc failure, much like some people have experienced here.
In order to investigate a little more I would like Rog5 users with completely dead phones (not powering on, black screen) to tell me:
Did your phone die while charging?
Did you use the original Rog charger?
Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this)
If this theory holds water then I strongly suggest you get yourself a charger that supports max voltage of 12v, I believe the 20v mode is reserved for ASUS's low end notebooks and is absolutely not intended for mobile phones.
This also goes for the Rog3 users, altho its very rare the rog3 dies from this, there have been cases where the rog3 would die while charging, i had 3 cases reported to me and all 3 had been while charging.
I will repeat this, this is merely a theory right now, so do not quote this as a fact until we got way more data on this.
27 REPLIES 27

CIG
Rising Star I
I did not die on charging, there is no charging connection at all, the motherboard was changed
obsurdical theory

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
thaspitefulwun

Gotta love automatic backups of photos and data lol.

Here you go.

unrestricted.jpg

steady.jpg

ultrasteady.jpg

View post
This is very interesting. Normally a 20v charger should output around 19 - 19.5v, having something as low as 16-17v makes me raise an eyebrow, whats worse is that the voltage is flucuating, AMPS fluctuating is normal behaviour, but DC voltage should NOT be doing that, thats a major red flag right here. I assume whats happening here is that it keeps switching between 12 and 20v mode, which would be inline with @FunBike31 observation that the phone seems to constantly change charging parameters. This is very damaging to the components and can quite easily fry the Power IC, which would explain why these phones are always to hot to the touch after they die due to being shorted.
@CIG I didnt know you were a robot that needs to be charging but congrats on your motherboard surgery! Yes your robot theory is absurd indeed.

venkatrockstar7
Rising Star II
My rog 5 was totally dead, I already facing a wifi issue & now my mobile was completely dead, when i am playing bgmi my mobile got freeze so i force shutdown it but it did not turn on till now and i tried every method that i know but no use so I'm thinking to change my motherboard for this shi*y device

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
venkatrockstar7090

My rog 5 was totally dead, I already facing a wifi issue & now my mobile was completely dead, when i am playing bgmi my mobile got freeze so i force shutdown it but it did not turn on till now and i tried every method that i know but no use so I'm thinking to change my motherboard for this shi*y device

View post
The Wifi chip dying and causing issues is a hardware defect, it's not ASUS fault since this also affects the xiaomi devices. All Phones with early snapdragon 888 chipset will have eventual wifi failure.

nabihamer
Star I
Danishblunt

First of all I want to mention this is a theory, but it seems to be rather solid and would like to ask people to give some information regarding their Rog5 phones death.

So as you guys know it isnt exacly unusual to kill your Rog5, every time one of these phones die they have been shorted. Today I had a talk with a guy on my discord and I explained to him how the modes work on a charger and a phone, however I was unsure which voltages the Rog3 supported so I took a look on the charger and there I found a potential culprit for our issue.

It seems the charger supports 20v mode, which is way to much for any phone to handle to my knowledge, if a powersurge like that gets blasted through the phone no wonder it will destroy the power IC.

As some people know, there is a certain communication between a charger and a phone, meaning the phones IC will tell the charger which mode to use and the charger will comply, however if this communication messes up, it can result in a catastropihc failure, much like some people have experienced here.

In order to investigate a little more I would like Rog5 users with completely dead phones (not powering on, black screen) to tell me:

• Did your phone die while charging?
  • Did you use the original Rog charger?
  • Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this)

If this theory holds water then I strongly suggest you get yourself a charger that supports max voltage of 12v, I believe the 20v mode is reserved for ASUS's low end notebooks and is absolutely not intended for mobile phones.

This also goes for the Rog3 users, altho its very rare the rog3 dies from this, there have been cases where the rog3 would die while charging, i had 3 cases reported to me and all 3 had been while charging.

I will repeat this, this is merely a theory right now, so do not quote this as a fact until we got way more data on this.

Danishblunt

• Did your phone die while charging?
  • Did you use the original Rog charger?
  • Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this)

Did your phone die while charging?
Yes
Did you use the original Rog charger?
Yes
Does your charger support 20v mode (look on the bottom of the charger for this)
Yes it's

My phone was 18% of charge when I plugged it to charge after 5 min I note that the phone lose battery level
I tried to replug it and tried the other port and nothing change I tried other chargers but got the same results the phone looked like it's charging and the led on until it's dead of charge
I tried a lot of other method while the phone was dying on my hand like reset the phone and boot at safe mode nothing help me to save the poor phone 🥺

I hope this could be helpful for you