FLS15
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 3
Firmware Version: WW_Phone-31.0210.0210.243-0
Rooted or not: Nope
Frequency of Occurrence: -
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Camera App
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I bought my ROG 3 from Amazon and it shipped from Japan, since then I've been trying to mute the camera shutter sound since it's pretty annoying mostly while taking a video.
I read online that in Japan and South Korea it has something to do with stalker taking unwanted pictures silently.
I don't really want to root my phone but is it somewhat possible to disable camera shutter sound?
I tried searching for a global version of the Camera App but find nothing online. I tried to update the ROG 3 Camera app but it seems the app is nowhere to be found on Google Play.

14 REPLIES 14

FLS15
Star I
Sorry for the bump, I've done further research on the matter and it seems for other phone it's fixed by inserting a local SIM card but not mine.
Yesterday, I factory reset the phone and it still didn't help. I also tried using a few of 3rd party Camera App and it didn't provide full functionality of the original camera features. Any solutions on this matter would greatly appreciated.

keren_ASUS
Hi @FLS15
Thank you for reaching out.
Unfortunately due to Japanese privacy laws, you will not be able to turn off the shutter sound. Theoretically, It maybe could be removed if it were under a different software image like ww.
Thank you!

FLS15
Star I
Hi there, @keren_ASUS
As I mentioned in the information above, I have the WW version. It just so happened that the unit available was from Japan. Maybe it was assembled there but the software itself is WW.
That's why I ask here in the first place because from my research there's actually nothing on paper that mandates the manufacturer from enforcing the camera sound. The idea was pitched by phone carriers in Japan that forces the camera to make sound based on whether a Japanese SIM Card is inserted or not. Iirc, most of phone manufacturer nowadays are moving towards the direction of making the sound toggle-able.
Is it possible that I can get an update for the Camera app and see if it helps? I tried searching for the camera apk file and seems to come to a dead end too.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
FLS15

Hi there, @keren_ASUS

As I mentioned in the information above, I have the WW version. It just so happened that the unit available was from Japan. Maybe it was assembled there but the software itself is WW.

That's why I ask here in the first place because from my research there's actually nothing on paper that mandates the manufacturer from enforcing the camera sound. The idea was pitched by phone carriers in Japan that forces the camera to make sound based on whether a Japanese SIM Card is inserted or not. Iirc, most of phone manufacturer nowadays are moving towards the direction of making the sound toggle-able.

Is it possible that I can get an update for the Camera app and see if it helps? I tried searching for the camera apk file and seems to come to a dead end too.

View post
No, in japan the law states shutter sound has to be audible. This is a law that had been passed since when camera phones were invented in japan and people kept taking pictures under females skirts.
The ww rom is stock for the rog3 also i doubt its based on simcard. Its more likely that the rom knows based on the phones serial number since the phone would otherwise be illegal as it would mean you could make shutter sound free pictures when sim is removed.