cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS FX505GT dual boot UBUNTU

acrubke
Star I
Hi,
For a couple of years my Laptop has been running from good to very good. Even the service has also been helpful with the recommended upgrades. Now i am having problems, but are not related to ASUS, but to Microsoft...
Every time I start de laptop the CPU is running like crazy and of course the fan making a high speed noise altogether. I learnt that this is because of the service sppsvc.exe (MicrosoftSoftwareProtectionPlatform) introduced recently in some of the Windows updates. It is supposed to check if the Windows installed is legit and have the proper license and activation. That is OK to do, but, every time I turn on the computer? That is the craziest thing to do!
The fact is that I don't want the OS to spoil and waste my hardware. So I plan to drop the use of Windows and for the first time in my life to install UBUNTU that I suppose it will take better care of my laptop.
Just in case UBUNTU betray me, I will install it in Dual Boot, having the old Windows in standby.
I would be happy if the community give me recommendations about how to achieve this purpose, which is very new to me.
Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

acrubke
Star I
Update.
I started installing UBUNTU with no problem until a message stopped the process saying that in order to continue I should turn off the Intel rst (Rapid Storage Technology).
It happens that doing so it might spoil de installation of Windows 10, what I am not willing to do. So I am again in need of support.
More info: The Windows 10 is the one that came installed with the computer and is fully operational, other than the problem causing by the sppsvc.exe service.
More info: My goal is to install UBUNTU on a slave disk that I use for data and have a lot of free space, not on the C: where windows resides.
I will appreciate any serious help,
Thank you

acrubke
Star I
OK, So I found the best documentation to solve problems like the one I have, it is in the help Ubuntu RST address and have a link to the official Intel documentation about Intel RST.
The document suggest a straightforward procedure, easy to follow, in order to change the Intel RST to Standard SATA AHCI Controller in WINDOWS that may be useful for a large range of computer users.
But, in the first part there are a couple of warnings:
"The exact terminology and steps required to access and manage RST in BIOS often depend on the specific implementation by the platform vendor", and
"Furthermore, you may already have Windows installed on the computer that uses RST. If you disable RST in the BIOS or change the RST configuration, Windows may become unbootable, as it may no longer be able to find and use the hard disks".
And later there is yet another warning:
"Caution: Please note that changes to storage configuration can be destructible and lead to irrecoverable loss of data. If you break a RAID setup, your data may no longer be accessible. Likewise, if you change the controller type from RST to AHCI, Windows may no longer be able to boot".
Then, since my laptop is not for making risky tests, I hope that someone related to ASUS validate this procedure and help me, and others like me, telling if it is worth to follow the procedure given in the Ubuntu document or just discard it all together.
Thank you in advance.

acrubke
Star I
OK, so I spend several days to backup most of my data into external disks and I started to make the changes needed to unblock the installation of UBUNTU, that is, to disable the Intel RST.
It happened now that the BIOS of my laptop do not give me any option to change the control of the disks. I have two disk attached, both controlled by the microchip Intel RST.
The Primary disk (containing the Windows 10 OS) is controlled by "Non-RAID", must be changed to AHCI.
The Secondary disk (only data and lot of free space) is controlled by AHCI already.
Because the BIOS don't let me do the change needed, I am going to try another thing unless I get a different recommendation otherwise.

acrubke
Star I
Finally my patience got exhausted because the driver of the Intel WiFi started randomly to have the yellow sign of "cannot start" and I was prevented to use the Internet. I contacted Intel and I was informed that their driver was OK but one of the recent updates of MS Windows 10 was making that random behavior in several computers. I tried the Internet in UBUNTU and really nothing was wrong, as Intel told me.
So... I immediately installed UBUNTU 22.04 LTS into my second disk and is the OS I am using right now for good. Windows is sleeping in the first disk, for now.
How I did it? I opened the laptop and disconnected the first disk, closed it and installed UBUNTU straight forward, opened it again and reconnected the first disk, closed and it booted to UBUNTU. I restarted and checked the BIOS, changed the boot order to the first disk and it booted to Windows, so there it was. I restarted and it booted again to UBUNTU what the laptop is doing all the time since then.
I can say that here in UBUNTU I have all I need to do the usual tasks I did in Windows and I am able to see, read and use all my old data I have in the external disks, Because of the Intel rst is still working, I am unable to see the first disk that contains Windows from UBUNTU, what I don't care.
Tip for users that are in similar situation: be very careful when opening and closing your computer; a severe damage can be caused by small invisible electric or magnetic hazards. Take your time and be patient, and follow strictly the guides and recommendations of your computer brand to do any of the steps needed to achieve your goal. Do not improvise.