cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XT9 integration

0ID
Star I

Hi,
based on positive reviews I intend to purchase a 2 pack of XT9 as I have problems on 5GHz. The 2.4 is fine.

I have one router which should stay as it is delivered by my ISP and on LAN is feeding IP TV's and printers.

So, I intend to switch off the 5GHz band on my actual router (the 2.4 remains active) and to connect to it via LAN the first XT9 to work exclusively on 5 GHz. Now the question is how to connect the second XT9?

1) via WiFi - easiest (can this cause some speed or stability problems?)
2) via LAN into to my actual router - can be done 
3) via LAN into the first XT9 - problematical, but eventually manageable.

Thank you for support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jzchen
Rising Star II

When planning wiring I like to reference this ASUS article:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1044151/

The XT9 has two 5 GHz channels, so one would simply act as dedicated backhaul.  (I'm afraid I'm not sure which of the two, 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2).  This is per your first option.  It may not be as fast as wired backhaul, but I notice the XT9 has a single 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port, which limits available "passthrough" to 1 Gb.

To answer your last question you do not need a dedicated switch.  You can connect from one XT9 to the other XT9.  Please look through the linked article and see which setup scenario works best.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

0ID
Star I

Bump!

alternative to version 3 above:

- use of an exclusively dedicated 1GB switch (on main XT9 side) to connect the backhaul of XT9 node to the main XT9

- can I use on XT9 node end also a similar switch which distributes also other connection or has to be here a dedicated direct Ethernet connection ???

jzchen
Rising Star II

When planning wiring I like to reference this ASUS article:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1044151/

The XT9 has two 5 GHz channels, so one would simply act as dedicated backhaul.  (I'm afraid I'm not sure which of the two, 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2).  This is per your first option.  It may not be as fast as wired backhaul, but I notice the XT9 has a single 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port, which limits available "passthrough" to 1 Gb.

To answer your last question you do not need a dedicated switch.  You can connect from one XT9 to the other XT9.  Please look through the linked article and see which setup scenario works best.

Thank you jzchen!

I didn't find this article related to the Ethernet backbone, although I have thoroughly researched the support site! Perhaps the structure of the support pages is not quite optimal.

If possible, I always prefer an Ethernet connection because it is consistently stable and the wireless backbone doesn't eat from XT9 available bandwidth.

Admittedly, I didn't need a switch because the Node itself, with its LAN ports, acts as a switch and I was able to get direct access to one LAN port on the XT9 main unit. And the 1 Gbps speed is fine with me.

Thank you again for the very useful link!