This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does asus expect someone to have two cpu’s??

hubuh
Star I

Bought a new motherboard because my old one was dead, new motherboard said it was compatible for 5000 series amd. Turns out to get the compatibility, you need a 3000 series amd cpu to update the the 5000 series bios. Who came up with this bright idea???

2 REPLIES 2

DeMoNeN
Star III

It would pretty much come down to which bios fw version your new mb ships with. Unless you can borrow someone elses cpu to make the new flash you could purchase a new bios module with the latest version on it. The module looks like a spider with silver legs. 

My old mb's bios module died and all I had to do is look up a new OEM module. I know it's not the same issue but it's in the same house.

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @hubuh 

May I ask for the model of your motherboard and the current BIOS version?
Updating the BIOS is aimed at ensuring better compatibility between hardware components. 
If your model supports the USB BIOS FlashBack feature, you can update the BIOS without booting or installing the CPU, as DeMoNeN has mentioned.

Typically, ASUS offers three methods for updating the BIOS, and the supported methods may vary based on the model.
For more details, please refer to the guidance in [Motherboard] How to update BIOS of the motherboard ?(Include different generation CPU)

Thank you.