This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThunderboltEx4 NVM31 downgrade tool

Pacecar
Star I

Hi there - Asus recently had a tool that would allow the downgrade of firmware on their ThunderboldEx4 card from NVM36 to NVM31 to support Thunderbolt 2 devices, however the tool is no longer available. Would anyone kindly have a link to the tool?

Thank you!

33 REPLIES 33

Yep—I am on newest bios. The firmware downgrade doesn’t care about the bios version. I had the same concern too but all is working well for me. Also, you may need to boot you audio interface up before your computer

Hey John, 

Not the case here. I've tried the NVM31 downgrade after updating to bios 2503 and it didn't work. First time it completed as if it worked, then it messed up my TB2 compatibility. Then I tried again and i got a "controller not found" error within the shell.efi downgrade tool procedure. Then I had to rollback to an older bios (2305 I think) then I was able to downgrade to NVM31 and I just left it alone. 

Seems the ideal solution would be for ASUS to just provide a bios update derivative from the 2503, just with NVM31 TB firmware, something like that. Instead, it seems many of us are jumping thru hoops with this issue, either leaving our chips vulnerable to degradation or having downtime due to TB2/TB3 incompatibility. 

I was even thinking on finding an Alpine/Titan ridge PCI TB card with the proper firmware and install it on my Z790 ProArt but they are so scarce and costly right now...Anyway, let's see what the ASUS guys say!

Yeah I had issues finding the thunderbolt controller but I had to unplug my computer from power for it to initialize.  Reboot wasn't enough.  I would try that and make sure you see the thunderbolt controller active in device manager

daproducer
Star I

It appears that after reviewing posts about the downgrade tool to address the Intel issue, which resulted in lack of support for Thunderbolt 1/2 following a BIOS update, you can offer assistance. I own an Asus ProArt Creator X570 motherboard, and this issue has brought my studio to a halt; I urgently require this solution.

johnpaul134
Star I

FYI, the firmware downgrade utility file that Jiaszzz_ASUS sent me enabled me to use my universal audio apollo 8 interface with thunderbolt 2 and a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter with my ROG maximus Z790 formula.