This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel's Recommended CPU Configurations on a PRIME Z790-P Wifi

adaniel87
Star I

I'm having issues with crashing that have been confirmed by the Horizon: Forbidden West support people to be due to the recent Intel 13th/14th gen CPU configuration problems (I'm on a 13700K). I updated the BIOS and set it to the new "Intel Baseline Profile," but I'm still running into issues, and now I've seen that Intel has explicitly said not to use this profile, as it doesn't actually fix the problems. They've put out a table of settings to use, and while I've gone into the BIOS to try, very few of them share the same names as the motherboard lists the settings as, so I'm just really looking for some help, as I basically can't play very many games at the moment. I've attached the table that Intel has released.

This has all been quite frustrating.

For what it's worth, my full specs:

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, 32GB DDR5-6000 RAM, an NVMe drive, an ASUS PRIME Z790-P Wifi, running Windows 11

3 REPLIES 3

@adaniel87 wrote:

I'm having issues with crashing that have been confirmed by the Horizon: Forbidden West support people to be due to the recent Intel 13th/14th gen CPU configuration problems (I'm on a 13700K). I updated the BIOS and set it to the new "Intel Baseline Profile," but I'm still running into issues, and now I've seen that Intel has explicitly said not to use this profile, as it doesn't actually fix the problems. They've put out a table of settings to use, and while I've gone into the BIOS to try, very few of them share the same names as the motherboard lists the settings as, so I'm just really looking for some help, as I basically can't play very many games at the moment. I've attached the table that Intel has released.

This has all been quite frustrating.

For what it's worth, my full specs:

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, 32GB DDR5-6000 RAM, an NVMe drive, an ASUS PRIME Z790-P Wifi, running Windows 11

Hello @adaniel87 CostcoESS

I understand how frustrating it can be to encounter stability issues with your Intel 13th/14th gen CPU. Let’s address this step by step. Based on Intel’s recent statements, I recommend the following actions:

Update Your Motherboard BIOS:
Ensure that you have the latest BIOS version installed for your ASUS PRIME Z790-P Wifi motherboard.
Specifically, look for a BIOS update that includes the “Intel Default Settings” integration. This update should align with Intel’s recommended power profiles.
Avoid Intel Baseline Profiles:
Intel has clarified that the “Intel Baseline Profiles” offered by motherboard vendors are not the same as the official “Intel Default Settings.”
Instead of using baseline profiles, opt for the Intel Default Settings. These settings follow what the specific processor is rated for by Intel out of the box, ensuring stability without firmware over-optimization.
Choose the Right Power Profile:
Depending on your motherboard and CPU, select the appropriate power profile:
For lower-end boards: Use the Intel Default Settings profile.
For K-Series processors (like your Core i7-13700K): Consider using the Performance or Extreme profiles, which match the motherboard’s power delivery capabilities.
Check the BIOS Settings:
Manually adjust settings in your BIOS to align with Intel’s specifications.
Look for options related to thermal and power delivery safeguards, C-states, and Windows performance modes.
Avoid disabling critical features like Current Excursion Protection (CEP) and Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB).
Contact Intel Support:
If updating the BIOS and adjusting settings doesn’t resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Intel customer support for further assistance.

Best Regards
Sonia Alvareo

while I appreciate the attempt, that doesn't really help me very much. I do have the latest BIOS (1656, released on 4/19/24), as that's the one that introduced the "Intel Baseline Profile." I've searched through the entire BIOS and can't find any "Intel Defaults" (or similar) profile anywhere. I've looked through just about every individual option in the entire thing, and the vast majority of them offer either "Auto," "Enable," or "Disable" as the only options, including in the thermal and CPU internal power sections.

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to setting specific processor settings like Intel's table lists. Very few of the options share the same names as those in Intel's recommendations. Intel tells me to contact my motherboard people for help with my specific motherboard. I don't understand how this is so user-unfriendly, given the apparent prevalence of this specific issue.

I'm sorry, I'm just beyond frustrated with this entire thing. I can barely use my PC right now for what I got it for, and I feel like I'm sitting here shouting into the abyss, and these companies are pulling a kind of "not our problem, go ask them" PR strategy.

Hello, @adaniel87 

Apologies for the delayed response.
Could you kindly describe what specific circumstance you're experiencing, such as a BSOD or a crash, that requires more settings adjustment, and what is the timing and frequency of this issue occurring?
After clearing CMOS and entering the system with the default BIOS settings, does the issue persist?
Based on your description and confirmation that it's caused by the CPU, have you considered contacting the place of purchase for further assistance, such as repair or replacement?

Thank you.