cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B460-PLUS - M.2 D Drive disappears after cold boot

nti
Star I

Hello,

Every time when I power on my computer (cold boot) I dont see my m.2 PCI-E disk. I need to restard and then disk is available in BIOS and Windows 10.

I have Asus B460-Plus mainboard, Intel I5-10400f, Samsung SSD and WD HDD in SATA ports. 

I tried:

1. Reset of BIOS.

2. Moved disk from m.2 mainboard slot in to dedicated PCI-E m.2 adapter.

3. Another m.2 disk, but I'm sure that this was ton related to disk, it work perfect when boot up in bios

4. Switched all SSD ports with disks.

I also had situation when HDD disapeared and pcie was available after cold restart, after next restart all disks was available. I'm aware all Mainboard SATA settings and use only SATA 2 & SATA 3 port to avoid conflicts.

5 REPLIES 5

Jiaszzz_ASUS

Hello, @nti 

May I inquire about the model of your MB, whether it's the TUF GAMING B460-PLUS or PRIME B460-PLUS, and the current BIOS version?

Could you provide insight into whether this issue arose following any recent software or hardware changes, such as a BIOS update or the installation of new external devices?

We recommend referring to [Motherboard] Troubleshooting - Cannot find the hard disk drive or SSD(M.2) after the motherboard po... for guidance, try setting [Launch CSM] to [Enabled].

Please also check if there are any firmware or driver updates required for the SSD.

Thank you.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

This is TUF mb. I updated to newest available bios from Asus website "1620" which add win 11 TPM module. I triwd CSM with diffrent options - legacy and uefi.

No firmware available for m.2 - Patriot Viper VP4300. 

Hello, @nti 

May I ask about what specific software or hardware changes preceded the occurrence of this anomaly?
Based on the troubleshooting methods you have attempted, have you considered isolating the possibility of SSD issues or abnormalities in the M.2 slot?
In addition to ensuring proper connections, if possible, please also consider cross-testing with different SSDs or HDDs.
We recommend verifying whether the PSU is correctly connected to the motherboard and associated hardware components.

Thank you.

nti
Star I

Hi,
What exactly do you mean by "anomaly"? Is it the fact that this happens to many people on same or similar mainboard? Same problem is discussed on other forums. Or the fact that Asus presented the exact situation that occurs when combining an i5-10400 processor and their MB?
I have been building computers since the 1990s and I know it very well. If the problem were trivial, I would solve it myself.
The equipment is good and works flawlessly. It goes through every task and does every job except for correct disk detection in the BIOS and only after cold power-up. After restarting, all drives are visible.

I entered the topic only because Asus described this particular case in his YouTube video and asked me to present it here, I was counting on a BIOS update or a solution to the situation that someone intelligent and honest finally mentioned in the video below:

Please watch from this moment.

https://youtu.be/Xj-wPw2TZVI?t=188

You might experience HDD can't be detected in BIOS on Motherboard. You can watch this video to solve this problem. If you want to know more information about HDD detection problem, please refer to the below FAQ: How to Fix Hard Drive can't be detected in BIOS on Motherboards ...