cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Ally Memory Leak with Asus AMD Graphics Driver

anibalcezar
Visitor

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the ideal place to post this but I've been having memory leaks with my ROG Ally since day one and I finally found out the root cause: AMD Graphics Driver.

For a simple demonstration, you need to download RAMMap from Microsoft: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

1 - Open RAMMap and sort processes by name so it's easier to visualize
2 - Open a browser, for example Chrome
3 - Refresh RAMMap to see all Chrome processes there
4 - Close Chrome, you can even kill its task on Task Manager
5 - Refresh RAMMap, Chrome processes are still there.

If you want another way to reproduce:

Open Terminal and run this command;

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,10000) DO cmd /c echo %i 

It spawns 10,000 cmd processes, that just print a number to the console. But because of the issue with the driver, it keeps a handle to these processes, so their memory doesn't get fully reclaimed once they close.

And how can I pinpoint this to Asus AMD Driver?

And what's the impact of this? The processes you open during your session will not get released properly from the memory, increasing its usage until your system is no longer responsive.

In conclusion: The driver issue was fixed by AMD but because Asus has its own version, it still has not been patched on their side.

Would be possible to get this escalated until someone who can actually do something about this in Asus's org? I'm happy to provide any further assistance.

Update: I did try to install many older versions from Asus to see if any doesn't have the memory leak and eventually this one Version V31.0.22023.8001 works.

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

Aureliannn_ASUS

Hi @anibalcezar ,

here we mainly discuss the issues/questions related to ASUS graphics card product.
For ROG Ally question, we recommend posting it here to seek answers.
Handheld Gaming - Republic of Gamers Forum (asus.com)
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.