This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans for VOLTE on ROG Phone II

kkithoe47
Star III
So, I am one of those ROG Phone II owners (global version) and go figure, I do not have VOLTE on my phone as well. I've been reading up some posts and forums in regards to VOLTE. What I get from it all is that the option for VOLTE requires both parties (carrier and and phone software) to fulfill certain criteria and ASUS apparently have to get confirmation from carriers so that VOLTE can function. So here's the thing, I know that the ROG Phone II is capable of VOLTE. But I am not sure whether the feature is enabled or disabled in the ROM or its just that my carrier is not sending the information required (IMS registration) for VOLTE to be enabled on my phone.
One thing is for certain is that I know my carrier has VOLTE. So which is it? ROM side or Carrier side that needs to enable whether that needs to be enabled for it to work?
I have read someone actually succeeded in enabling VOLTE by forcefully enabling it (editing system level file and ADB sideload). Obviously doing so voids warranty but this also tells me that ASUS colud actually just enable the feature and that would be up to respective carriers' to support this feature. Can ASUS simply just leave VOLTE option on then?
17 REPLIES 17

kkithoe47
Star III
OPC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33066#Comment_33066

I got the same reply from my carrier. "Check on our website the list of supported phones". And Rog 2 in not on the list. I guess we will have to live with this for the lifespan of this device.

View post
True. Even if ASUS comes out with ROG Phone 3, VoLTE would most probably be locked out of it since it's carrier dependent now.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
kkithoe47

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33059#Comment_33059

Oh hey dude,

We are practically neighbors then. I'm from Malaysia and my carrier, Unifi does support VoLTE as I did have that feature on while using my Huawei P20 Pro previously. I guess I was a little excited about getting ROG Phone II that VoLTE totally slipped my mind. Now that I got it, I realized that its not supported by carrier which is odd since this phone has been insanely popular here as well with all the marketing and stuff.

So, its all down to our respective carriers whether they wanna support this phone with VoLTE eh? That seriously blows man..

I could send an email to my carrier support line, but I'm expecting I would usually get a very standard response like, "Hi there! Please refer to our list of VoLTE supported phones. Your phone is not on the list and it is VoLTE supported."

I supposed we are at the whims of our carriers then.

View post
This will be the same as many other devices not just the ROG Phone but I think phones like Blackshark 2 and so on are not supported either so we aren't the only ones facing this issues. I had a Huawei P30 Pro and a LG V20 and yes the moment my sim card goes in, it is activated by default and you are not required to do anything at all.
I guess there is one thing all of us can try...Since our ROG Phone required the IMS registration information, why not let's just call up our carrier and just tell them that we don't have VoLTE and just play dumb and see if they will just click the activation button on their side and see what happens.
Because when I talked to my own carrier they said used the word "procedure"...so I am thinking the reason they have this procedure is because they do not just want to go ahead and activate/support a device due to the fact that the hardware and standards may not be the same standard and specifications as what they have in place.

kkithoe47
Star III
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33066#Comment_33066

This will be the same as many other devices not just the ROG Phone but I think phones like Blackshark 2 and so on are not supported either so we aren't the only ones facing this issues. I had a Huawei P30 Pro and a LG V20 and yes the moment my sim card goes in, it is activated by default and you are not required to do anything at all.

I guess there is one thing all of us can try...Since our ROG Phone required the IMS registration information, why not let's just call up our carrier and just tell them that we don't have VoLTE and just play dumb and see if they will just click the activation button on their side and see what happens.

Because when I talked to my own carrier they said used the word "procedure"...so I am thinking the reason they have this procedure is because they do not just want to go ahead and activate/support a device due to the fact that the hardware and standards may not be the same standard and specifications as what they have in place.

View post
I suppose I could give my service provider a call and do just that. But my carrier posted a list of phones that support VoLTE which 99% they are just gonna throw that in me face and tell me that's that or they are dumber than bricks and would not have a single clue about what I'm talking about.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
kkithoe47

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/33133#Comment_33133

I suppose I could give my service provider a call and do just that. But my carrier posted a list of phones that support VoLTE which 99% they are just gonna throw that in me face and tell me that's that or they are dumber than bricks and would not have a single clue about what I'm talking about.

View post
I am going to put this other thread for reference
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/31892#Comment_31892

Can you share how to do it please ?

Thanks

View post
So I did something similar to this guy who said he got it to work but the difference is I definitely have VoLTE available so I called up my own local carrier and this what happened...I told them that I wasn't getting any VoLTE service and they pulled out my account status on their system and actually reset the 4G VoLTE service on my line and it did not work. It did not trigger anything so it did not work.
And I can tell you for sure once I put my sim card in my other phone, it triggered the VoLTE service right away and got the IMS registration details right away...ROG Phone got nothing and there was no trigger...So I am just going to confirm something for everyone...you can tweak the files to get the VoLTE options to show up in the network settings but if you don't have a IMS registration from your carrier...you will get no VoLTE service.
So my local carrier is going to get back to me again because they are still under the impression that I am using my Huawei P30 Pro and it is not working still. Honestly I feel bad for giving them misinformation but I am just trying this out for everyone's sake as well.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
I will update again soon.