This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display and pwm

Evolution101
Star III
Is the display identical to the Zenfone 8 hence the pwm value should be the same?
22 REPLIES 22

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Evolution101

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/223851#Comment_223851

I only use the Auto mode just like I did with the Zenfone 8. I don't want to milden the symptoms but rather eliminate the cause so if notebookcheck publish their coming review of Zenfone 9 from which can be concluded that the pwm value is worse than the previous model, I will return this and buy a new Zenfone 8 again.

View post
Auto mode in zf9 is from what I know more responsive and more aggressive. Meaning, it makes sense youd feel more uncomfortable on the zf9. I strongly suggest setting it on 60hz.

Nisse
Star II
Why use anything else than 120 hz?, getting 8-10h screen on with 120 hz

Evolution101
Star III
Nisse

Why use anything else than 120 hz?, getting 8-10h screen on with 120 hz

View post
Due to sensitivity to pwm which allegedly higher Hz seems to worsen.

Nisse
Star II
From notebootreview
"The display backlight flickers at 495 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 45 % and below. There should be no flickering or PWM above this brightness setting.
The frequency of 495 Hz is relatively high, so most users sensitive to PWM should not notice any flickering. However, there are reports that some users are still sensitive to PWM at 500 Hz and above, so be aware.
In comparison: 52 % of all tested devices do not use PWM to dim the display. If PWM was detected, an average of 19947 (minimum: 5 - maximum: 3846000) Hz was measured."
for the zenfone 8, is it really an issue?

Evolution101
Star III
Nisse

From notebootreview

"The display backlight flickers at 495 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM) Flickering detected at a brightness setting of 45 % and below. There should be no flickering or PWM above this brightness setting.

The frequency of 495 Hz is relatively high, so most users sensitive to PWM should not notice any flickering. However, there are reports that some users are still sensitive to PWM at 500 Hz and above, so be aware.

In comparison: 52 % of all tested devices do not use PWM to dim the display. If PWM was detected, an average of 19947 (minimum: 5 - maximum: 3846000) Hz was measured."

for the zenfone 8, is it really an issue?

View post
We're discussing the Zenfone 9 with regards to possible bad pwm values in comparison with the Zenfone 8 which is very good for people sensitive to pwm.