Slnn3R
Rising Star I
ROG Phone 5 Pre Order
RM2999
Free Kunai 3 Controller (RRP: RM599)
AeroActive Cooler 5
RM149 (Actual Price Paid RM44)
ROG Phone 5 Bad Experience Highlights
When the phone first arrived (Initial Firmware Version - Not Updated to any new firmware patch/update), try a few long gaming session such as Genshin Impact (Very High Graphic Setting), the FPS is stable around 50-60 FPS but the Temperature is able to reach 58-60 Degree Celsius in around 20-30mins, most of the time I using Kunai 3 Controller so doesn't feel the heat, but it kinda scary when touching the screen and feel the heat from there.
So decided to get the AeroActive Cooler 5 as I think it may help to improve the situation, it does help improve a bit in a short gaming session, however even with AeroActive Cooler 5 attached, while using By Pass Charging and having around 50mins-60mins gaming session with Genshin Impact, the phone will pop out an Error message saying something like "Temperature in the USB is too High" please unplug, etc. This kinda make me feel I only pay for the AeroActive Cooler 5 Back Button feature but the cooling feature isn't giving any benefit.
KUNAI 3 Controller started to getting some updates (when attach it will auto update), then the KUNAI 3 Controller start behave weirdly, sometimes right controller not able to function, the controller keep connect and disconnecting unexpectedly, bluetooth connection sometime works and sometime not works, etc, basically after KUNAI 3 Controller getting updates, I notice the Controller not able to work normally in a consistent manner, most of the time the controller keep having weird behavior and it works in a very rare manner. I enjoy the KUNAI 3 Controller in the beginning when everything works but after the updates it become Brick for me.
After few firmware updates, the phone doesn't able to heat up until 50-60 Degree Celsius anymore, playing Genshin Impact (Very High Graphic Setting) in very long gaming session the Maximum Temperature is around 45-46 Degree Celsius as well, however the FPS performance is noticeable unstable and the FPS just keep jumping between 30-55 FPS throughout the gaming session. It is playable, however just feel the phone have degraded, it exchange performance over cooler temperature. I heard my other peers with the same phone as mine saying they have no issue to achieve stable 60fps in a long gaming session in Highest Graphical Setting, but the games they play is MOBA and FPS games such as Honor of Glory, PUBG, etc which I don't play.
Around Two Months before my warranty end, the Speaker died, interestingly its morning Alarm did wake me up normally, but for unknown reason, in the afternoon the sound never come out anymore. Send to claim warranty, took around 1 month to receive the phone back, everything work normally.
Bad Experience Conclusion
- The Accessories just doesn't work (cooler don't cool down the phone, controller don't function normally) even they are design for ROG Phone 5. Luckily they don't cost me anything, but they just like some extra bricks for me.
- The updates did solved Genshin Impact overheat issue, but it doesn't solve Genshin Impact performance issue, from feedback from others, the performance on other games are High Tier but I only play Genshin Impact and the experience is feel like Mid Tier for me.
- So overall, this gaming phone doesn't give me the Best Gaming Experience I am expecting. The Main Issue I have above is all about Gaming Experience and my gaming experience score for this ROG Phone 5 would be 6.5/10 (Because I ONLY play Genshin Impact, maybe other games can offer 8/10 or higher experience)
ROG Phone 5 Good Experience Highlights
Speaker are so great, I often feel I didn't utilize the Headphone 3.5mm jackport at all because the Speaker Audio Quality is so good that I don't need earphone to enjoy best sound in Most Situation.
The screen experience is superb, its brightness can be still very high and clear under the Sun, in all visual media I that I consume with the phone, it is the best visual experience I ever experience in a mobile device.
Performance in all apps (except gaming with Genshin Impact) and connectivity software (wifi, bluetooth, hotspot, mobile data, gps, etc) is superb, over 60hz above visual performance, very responsive in every tab, switch from app to app is very instant, never experience any lag, freeze or performance issue on my daily apps usage. I got no issue with the Connectivity function in the phone and I feel they perform much more better compare to my last phone.
The build quality of the phone is very good, I love the phone allow me to hold it firmly and it gave me a premium touch/holding feeling, I don't use screen protector and just use the phone free case, after year of using, I don't see any Obvious scratch or physical damage on anywhere of my phone.
I am very satisfy with the battery performance as well, it last so long and the fast charging just way to fast. I never find myself worry about no enough battery in my whole year of usage and my phone never shutdown due to low battery ever.
Some additional bonus, the On Screen Finger Thumbprint, for me they function very well and very convenience. The LED Notification Indicator is a Good Plus for me, I prefer the LED Notification on top of the screen Indicator than the RGB Light Indicator on the back of the phone. The squeeze to open Apps feature, Double tab lock screen feature are also something I don't ever want to miss out from my phone, they are just some feature I rely and use too often everyday.
Good Experience Conclusion
- My previous phone is Google Pixel 2XL, ROG Phone 5 just gave me another next next level of "Smart Phone Experience" in my daily usage of the phone in all use case scenarios (except Gaming)
- Technically I utilized all of the phone feature and they gave me the Best Experience I ever had everyday, I definitely gave 9/10 score for my daily practical usage of the phone.

Based on my 1 years+ usage of ROG Phone 5, If this is a "Zenfone", I will gave 9/10 Score, but this is a "ROG Phone", so I think it is reasonable for me to expect the Accessories will Work and the Performance of Genshin Impact should stable, the only Gaming Experience I feel it work well upon my expectation so far is ONLY the AirTrigger. So my final score of this phone would be 7/10 which consider an above mid-tier experience.
Moving On, I have sold everything of my ROG PHONE 5 with RM1500 and Pre-Order ROG Phone 6.
ROG Phone 6 Pre Order
RM3590
Free Additional 1 Year Warranty
Free AeroActive Cooler 6
Why ROG PHONE again?
In term of daily practical usage, my score is 9/10, so there no reason for me to not experience it on ROG Phone again, but the main feature I don't wanna lose is the Speaker Audio Experience, so ROG Phone's Speaker is always on my mind and wish list.
Pre-order gave me extra warranty so the phone basically have 2 years warranty just like ROG laptops which gave me more confidence on its quality and peace of mind in case there is any issue. My current ROG Phone 5 already out of warranty so I kinda just wanna get rid of this "time bomb".
It seem like the Temperature did improve without AeroActive Cooler, with the new AeroActive Cooler 6 it feel like something would really improve the Gaming Experience, so I would like to it give it another chance and hope ROG Phone 6 would gave me better gaming experience.
My Expectation
Just continue to do well in everything I mentioned on "ROG Phone 5 Good Experience Highlights" section, then I am definitely cool with it, however based on the spec it seem like it surely will gave me better experience on my daily practical phone usage.
Stable 50-60 FPS on Genshin Impact Highest Graphical Setting (I don't mind Disable Anti-aliasing and in Low Shadow setting ONLY) in 30mins game play session.
Stable 50-60 FPS on Genshin Impact Highest Graphical Setting (I don't mind Disable Anti-aliasing and in Low Shadow setting ONLY) in 1hours+ game play session with the AeroActive Cooler 6.
Is my expectation reasonable enough or I expecting too much? Will ROG Phone 6 achieve these expectation or is it impossible to achieve (for the Gaming Experience Expectation)?
What do you guys think? 🤔
24 REPLIES 24

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Slnn3R

While reading this article (www.xda-developers.com/asus-rog-phone-6-teardown-shows-internal-construction/) found out this ROG PHONE 6 Tear down video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuUvYkp5JuM&t=444s

@Danishblunt @FunBike31 @ktw You guys seem quite knowledgeable in Mobile Phone Hardware and Technical stuff, what do you guys think toward this ROG PHONE 6 tear down?

Also wonder if you guys read this review from XDA before or not, I wonder if what they write in the Gaming Performance section just some unreliable marketing promote or it is a quite reliable and legit info?

https://www.xda-developers.com/asus-rog-phone-6-pro-review/

View post
Its to early to say anything yet, as it stands it seems to be a rog5 just with some slight changes. If you want to do gaming on the go without having a chunky cooler you'd be far better of with the competition.

As for durability, we already know that it will break as easily as the Rog5 when physical force is applied to it. As for internal durability, we don't know yet, but considering the absolute disaster and RMA mass on Rog5, I can only speculate that they did at least adress that. What we also notice very easily is that despite having a better camera sensor the image quality is notably worse, this already hints towards some early software difficulties. I think it might be best to wait and see what ASUS does and how the Rog6 behaves. If you have a working Rog 2,3 or 5, there is no reason to buy the 6. There simply isnt any real reason to do so as there is no upgrade that is worth it. Especially when you come from the Rog3, there are many arguments for a considerable downgrade.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Returns should be soon, the first users on Tawain have received their rog 6
For the durability of the SOC, we will see, Samsung is no longer one of the suppliers for the SOC 8+ Gen1, the latter had a high rate of waste on the 888
On the other hand, I am surprised by the USB-C 3.1 standard, for a device without an SDCard, the least we could have done was to put a USB-C 3.2, the *2 transfers are not negligible.

Slnn3R
Rising Star I
Actually recently I sold my Genshin Impact account for RM600, kinda earn a lot from it and I don't plan to play Genshin Impact anymore, currently I am very interested in Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis for Android. The game not release yet and not sure how well it will run at ROG Phone 6, but by right it not as Graphic Consuming compare to Genshin Impact.
I guess gotta update my current expectation for ROG Phone 6:
My Expectation
Just continue to do well in everything I mentioned on "ROG Phone 5 Good Experience Highlights" section, then I am definitely cool with it, however based on the spec it seem like it surely will gave me better experience on my daily practical phone usage.
Stable 90 FPS or higher on Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis Highest Graphical Setting in 1 Hours or higher game play session.
Stable 120 FPS on Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis Highest Graphical Setting in 1hours+ game play session with the AeroActive Cooler 6.

Slnn3R
Rising Star I

Slnn3R

Actually recently I sold my Genshin Impact account for RM600, kinda earn a lot from it and I don't plan to play Genshin Impact anymore, currently I am very interested in Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis for Android. The game not release yet and not sure how well it will run at ROG Phone 6, but by right it not as Graphic Consuming compare to Genshin Impact.

I guess gotta update my current expectation for ROG Phone 6:

My Expectation

1. Just continue to do well in everything I mentioned on "ROG Phone 5 Good Experience Highlights" section, then I am definitely cool with it, however based on the spec it seem like it surely will gave me better experience on my daily practical phone usage.
  2. Stable 90 FPS or higher on Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis Highest Graphical Setting in 1 Hours or higher game play session.
  3. Stable 120 FPS on Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis Highest Graphical Setting in 1hours+ game play session with the AeroActive Cooler 6.

View post
Based on https://androplus.org/en/entry/asus-rog-phone-6-review/
My Expectation Check List
LED Notification Indicator
Squeeze to open Apps feature
Double tab lock screen feature
On Screen Finger Thumbprint
Speaker
Screen
Battery
️ WIFI/Bluetooth/NFC Connectivity (Should be fine)
️ Good Physical Build (Should be fine)
️ Performance / Stable Temperature (Can't really understand what does he mean by "Loose thermal control and easy performance")

Bonus
60, 90, 120, 144, and 165 Hz Refresh Rate Option
Customizable Double-Tapping on the back

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Slnn3R

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/218846#Comment_218846

Based on https://androplus.org/en/entry/asus-rog-phone-6-review/

My Expectation Check List

LED Notification Indicator

Squeeze to open Apps feature

Double tab lock screen feature

On Screen Finger Thumbprint

Speaker

Screen

Battery

WIFI/Bluetooth/NFC Connectivity (Should be fine)

️ Good Physical Build (Should be fine)

Performance / Stable Temperature (Can't really understand what does he mean by "Loose thermal control and easy performance")

Bonus

60, 90, 120, 144, and 165 Hz Refresh Rate Option

Customizable Double-Tapping on the back

View post
The rog6 is already proving to be a rog5 with new chip and downgrades. it's fragile like the Rog5, heats like an oven without cooler like the Rog5, performance is "ok" for now, but will degrade over update since passively it simply cant sustain itself without damaging internal components. On screen is equally awful as Rog5. Speaker are a considerable downgrade. Battery life is extremley poor as well especially during gaming.
The rog 6 is a hard pass.