This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second hand Zenfone 8 has unlocked bootloader

martinparker28
Rising Star II
Hope someone can help, I have just bought a second hand Zenfone 8 and on bootup I noticed that the bootloader has been unlocked, as I have no intention to root my phone I wanted to know if anyone knows of an easy(ish) way to re lock the bootloader?, any help will be greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Cyslawo
Rising Star II
I would rather try to install custom rom, maybe You will make this phone work at least almost correctly xD

PhaGWiZ
Rising Star I
The bootloader can be relocked, you will gain most of the features back (except the automatic updates, you will need to download the file manually from the zenfone 8 support page, Bios and firmware tab) then move that file to the phone's "internal storage". Reboot, then wait a few minutes, it should prompt you to update to a newer firmware.

To relock the bootloader, here is what you need to do:
MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE STOCK ASUS FIRMWARE BEFORE PROCEEDING
Plug in your phone to a computer
Open a command prompt/Terminal
type:
adb reboot bootloader
Then do this, if you use Windows 10-11 you might need to install the Asus USB Drivers (if you get a waiting for fastboot devices prompt) If you are on Linux or MacOS, it should be easier, simply exectute the fastboot command as root (sudo fastboot...)
fastboot oem asus-csc_lk

martinparker28
Rising Star II
PhaGWiZ

The bootloader can be relocked, you will gain most of the features back (except the automatic updates, you will need to download the file manually from the zenfone 8 support page, Bios and firmware tab) then move that file to the phone's "internal storage". Reboot, then wait a few minutes, it should prompt you to update to a newer firmware.

To relock the bootloader, here is what you need to do:

adb reboot bootloader

Then do this, if you use Windows 10-11 you might need to install the Asus USB Drivers (if you get a waiting for fastboot devices prompt) If you are on Linux or MacOS, it should be easier, simply exectute the fastboot command as root (sudo fastboot...)

fastboot oem asus-csc_lk

View post
@PhaGWiZ , many thanks, this worked like a charm once I'd downloaded the ASUS USB drivers

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.