cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 8 Hard-Bricked after firmware update

jennebumke
Star III
Hey Asus (community)!
This morning my unrooted Asus Zenfone 8 (8GB 128GB) black model bricked itself, two days after the last firmware update. I think this could be part of the reason, so I just want to send out a kind warning to anyone out there to wait with installing this upgrade. I don't recall the name and time of the update, I cannot check because, well, my phone literally is hard-bricked.
Happened between 6AM and 7AM while I was not near my phone. It won't turn on. It won't respond to charging, power button (in all combination with volume buttons up to 1 minute).
I still really enjoyed the phone for the past 2,5 months, I think about returning it and buying a new one. All pictures and videos are lost, but I can cope with losing that.
What else could it be, I wonder?
6 REPLIES 6

jennebumke
Star III
daniel91m

I advise you to read this:

1. https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/52321/asus-stuck-on-waiting-for-flashing-full-ramdump#latest
  2. https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/51818/zenfone-8-seems-to-be-bricked-i-have-no-idea-what-to-do...

Asus hasn't made any statement on this matter ... !

View post
I did read through, but these seem soft-bricked phones where the phone still seems to power up and show a RAM dump, I don't have that at all. It's just an unresponsive black screen.

daniel91m
Rising Star II
I had the same as you, I think it's the same problem - maybe just different symptoms?

jennebumke
Star III
daniel91m

I had the same as you, I think it's the same problem - maybe just different symptoms?

View post
Perhaps, either way there's not much out there and I'm just making sure I send out my problem as exact as possible. I was hesitant about writing something about it, but my friend asked me if I made a post. That pushed me to at least share my experience, so I think not everyone who experienced it will write a post on forums like us, but it must be done by someone as this seems like a bad selling point that needs to be adressed.
I don't want to backtalk Asus, I hope to see them taking note of the matter and attempt to fix it. And as a service engineer myself (in a totally different department), I know that can be difficult when the issue seems to be happening random.