journeywithme06
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: rog 5 16 256
Firmware Version:. 49
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: all the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
We really are not getting a stable.2.84 Ghz of clockespeed. As soon as you turn on the xmode plus. It goes down to 1.56. Ive seen a video in youtube "rog 5 preformance issue" and its more than a month already, is this a hardware issue? Or a software? If this is a software, when are going to have a fix on this one. This is serious. No other SD 888 phone, is having this issue.
https://youtu.be/2-xqz2ZiwJU

18 REPLIES 18

ghyzriellgalez0
Rising Star II
You are right. 😔, no qualms on that, should have waited for few moths and checked for issues at hand before buying.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
The frequency stats in game genie can only show the frequency of your main core and this is the only core that can reach 2.84hz.
This isn't the only core that's doing all the heavy lifting. Quite the opposite actually. The GPU is much more important and if we were to lock the main cpu core at 2.84ghz, then temp would rise and we would have to throttle the GPU resulting in much worse performance.

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
Anders_ASUS

The frequency stats in game genie can only show the frequency of your main core and this is the only core that can reach 2.84hz.

This isn't the only core that's doing all the heavy lifting. Quite the opposite actually. The GPU is much more important and if we were to lock the main cpu core at 2.84ghz, then temp would rise and we would have to throttle the GPU resulting in much worse performance.

View post
The GPU already throttles,its better to limit that as 680mhz are already enough for mobile games,or maybe you can push an update that locks to 2.84Ghz,or make the boosting behaviour more aggressive and stable,lots of people are complaining about issues like that,especially in pubg mobile and Genshin impact

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
GREEKLEADER

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174001#Comment_174001

The GPU already throttles,its better to limit that as 680mhz are already enough for mobile games,or maybe you can push an update that locks to 2.84Ghz,or make the boosting behaviour more aggressive and stable,lots of people are complaining about issues like that,especially in pubg mobile and Genshin impact

View post
As anders was pointing out, most games don't utilize the prime core properly. Seeing ONLY the prime core is not a definitive "oh no my CPU is throttling", it's just an indication at best. That being said the monitoring on the gamegenie needs to be reworked into something more useful.
Overall what Anders is implying here is that the Rog5 simply cannot handle the CPU and GPU at full throttle on the Rog5.
Infact the Rog5 cannot even handle the GPU at full throttle which we have been seeing a lot with 3dmark stresstests and most importantly emulation where the performance really takes a nosedive as well. While it's partly to blame on ASUS's choice to go for design over raw cooling performance, it's also something you can easily blame qualcom for, as the SD 888 chip really is hella inefficient and causes problems on all devices aside from the ones that took a ridicolous cooling initiative, huge props to xiaomi and nubia for the insane cooling, not gonna lie, everytime I see the dissassembly of bs4 and bs3, as a modder that mods PC's and other devices, I can't help but admire the craftmanship and care in the design of those phones.

ghyzriellgalez0
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/174007#Comment_174007

As anders was pointing out, most games don't utilize the prime core properly. Seeing ONLY the prime core is not a definitive "oh no my CPU is throttling", it's just an indication at best. That being said the monitoring on the gamegenie needs to be reworked into something more useful.

Overall what Anders is implying here is that the Rog5 simply cannot handle the CPU and GPU at full throttle on the Rog5.

Infact the Rog5 cannot even handle the GPU at full throttle which we have been seeing a lot with 3dmark stresstests and most importantly emulation where the performance really takes a nosedive as well. While it's partly to blame on ASUS's choice to go for design over raw cooling performance, it's also something you can easily blame qualcom for, as the SD 888 chip really is hella inefficient and causes problems on all devices aside from the ones that took a ridicolous cooling initiative, huge props to xiaomi and nubia for the insane cooling, not gonna lie, everytime I see the dissassembly of bs4 and bs3, as a modder that mods PC's and other devices, I can't help but admire the craftmanship and care in the design of those phones.

View post
I see. So there is no fix for this problem like s software update? Since, just like you said @Danishblunt this is a design of the phone which we can' t do nothing about unless they get all the rog 5 amd redesign it, which is impossible. Please let me know.