Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback

Tob
Star III
Here's some initial feedback after owning the device for a couple of hours:

Fingerprint reader still needs more work
Always on display is a bit too dark (would also like more clock options)
Icons on Always on display are too small (especially battery life indicator)
The front camera is an absolute mess, despite the great hardware. Pretty much everything about it is awful, including colors, skin-smoothing (despite turning that setting off). My Pixel 4a whose got much worst hardware does a much better job with selfies.
The main cameras are pretty ok, nothing special tho.
I'm also on the latest firmware (30.11.51.41) in case you're wondering.
13 REPLIES 13

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Thank you for the feedback - we're passing all the feedback to our developers.

Fingerprint reader will likely see some improvements on the next update.
Selfie camera we will also continue to work on and improve.

Thank you!

Tob
Star III
CH_ASUS

Thank you for the feedback - we're passing all the feedback to our developers.

Fingerprint reader will likely see some improvements on the next update.

Selfie camera we will also continue to work on and improve.

Thank you!

View post

The bridge between asian-centric and western-centric opinions about skin-smoothing/skin-tone is really difficult. Would be awesome to have a different setting/firmware for depending if you prefer western or asian "look" on your selfies.
As a westerner I wastly prefer how Apple/Google are handling the skin smoothing/tone, I'm guessing people in the asian markets prefers how alla the asian OEM's are handling the selfie- situation.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II

Tob

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/167539#Comment_167539

The bridge between asian-centric and western-centric opinions about skin-smoothing/skin-tone is really difficult. Would be awesome to have a different setting/firmware for depending if you prefer western or asian "look" on your selfies.

As a westerner I wastly prefer how Apple/Google are handling the skin smoothing/tone, I'm guessing people in the asian markets prefers how alla the asian OEM's are handling the selfie- situation.

View post
What you may be observing is noise reduction being too aggressive to prevent noise. The countereffect of noise-reduction can be a lack of sharpness. Not a deliberate 'skin smoothing' even with beautification off. (That would imply intention, or preference,in a way)

For example in the Zenfone 7 , we instead run into comments from "west and east" on photos coming in "too sharp" instead. That being said, we're working in improving selfie quality on the Zenfone 8!

For the fingerprint reader; are you using any protective glass or film on the display, or is it just the screen glass itself?

Tob
Star III
CH_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/167543#Comment_167543

What you may be observing is noise reduction being too aggressive to prevent noise. The countereffect of noise-reduction can be a lack of sharpness. Not a deliberate 'skin smoothing' even with beautification off. (That would imply intention, or preference,in a way)

For example in the Zenfone 7 , we instead run into comments from "west and east" on photos coming in "too sharp" instead. That being said, we're working in improving selfie quality on the Zenfone 8!

For the fingerprint reader; are you using any protective glass or film on the display, or is it just the screen glass itself?

View post
Hmm I see, I'm not that into camera tech so i'm not sure how to describe it in technical terms, I just wastly prefer how the result of the pixel software, even when the actual hardware is extremely dated like on the Pixel 4a.

It's the same with the main camera, there's just so much more detail when using my 4a, despite the +5 year old camera tech.

I'm not using any protective glas or film atm, but in all honestly the fingerprint reader is pretty fine, my biggest complaints are with the camera software, but I understand that it's really hard for smaller companies to compete with the likes of Google/Apple/Samsung.
I also remember a feature on an old Zenfone that I loved, when there was a new notification and the screen was off, then instead of waking up the entire screen it just showed the notification with a dark background. I wish you brought that back, it's so much easier to see the notification (I also beilive the actual text/icons became larger compared to normal use).