waxy78611
Zen Master I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi Devs, any chance you can include a 90hz option for refresh rate ?

90h was the sweet spot on the Rog 3. Great for battery life and thermals. Plus, most apps aren't compatible with 120hz yet, so having 90hz would make sense on the next update ?

16 REPLIES 16

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Anders_ASUS

You might have noticed that several phones with a 120Hz screens don't offer any 90Hz option and this is because these panels are not made with 90Hz in mind. It's technically possible to run in 90Hz just like some found that 160Hz could be enabled on ROG 3 but it won't look as pretty as 60Hz and 120hz. This is why there's no 90Hz option on ROG Phone 5.

View post
But the Rog 3 had 60 90 120 and 144, so technically it is possible to have 90hz on the Rog 5? Why is it such a big Ask to have 90hz? Surely it's something you can implement with a software update and it will keep the phone temps low aswel as give better battery life.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
waxy78611

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/166261#Comment_166261

But the Rog 3 had 60 90 120 and 144, so technically it is possible to have 90hz on the Rog 5? Why is it such a big Ask to have 90hz? Surely it's something you can implement with a software update and it will keep the phone temps low aswel as give better battery life.

View post
As we have learned from the Rog3, when it comes to make actual profiles for the display refreshrates ASUS isn't exacly the ones to ask. Yes the panel can absolutely run 90hz, but without a profile to match it will look horrendous and you'll get all kinds of stupid problems like bad color reproduction and color banding. I believe what happened here was that they got the panel, with some pre made profiles and they didnt get one for 90hz, so basicially there isnt anything they can do about it. If you want 90hz, then hope that a kernel developer later down the road will purchase the phone, implement it in their kernel and release it much like I did with the Rog3 to fix the Rog3 display.

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/166667#Comment_166667

As we have learned from the Rog3, when it comes to make actual profiles for the display refreshrates ASUS isn't exacly the ones to ask. Yes the panel can absolutely run 90hz, but without a profile to match it will look horrendous and you'll get all kinds of stupid problems like bad color reproduction and color banding. I believe what happened here was that they got the panel, with some pre made profiles and they didnt get one for 90hz, so basicially there isnt anything they can do about it. If you want 90hz, then hope that a kernel developer later down the road will purchase the phone, implement it in their kernel and release it much like I did with the Rog3 to fix the Rog3 display.

View post
Check out the newly released zte axon 30 ultra. It's got 60, 90, 120 and 144hz all available. I doubt it's a hardware thing. Because think about it, if 160hz was able to be activated through a ADB command, why can't 90hz be added into a update. I've noticed that with high refresh rate the battery drains fast and phone heats up. On 60hz battery is great and so are temps. So 90hz would be the sweet spot. Don't think we're asking for too much do you ? 90hz would be perfect

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
waxy78611

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/166731#Comment_166731

Check out the newly released zte axon 30 ultra. It's got 60, 90, 120 and 144hz all available. I doubt it's a hardware thing. Because think about it, if 160hz was able to be activated through a ADB command, why can't 90hz be added into a update. I've noticed that with high refresh rate the battery drains fast and phone heats up. On 60hz battery is great and so are temps. So 90hz would be the sweet spot. Don't think we're asking for too much do you ? 90hz would be perfect

View post
I already told you, it's absolutely no hardware problem. The display can absolutely do 90hz without a problem, but without a profile, just setting the display to 90hz it will look terrible. Anders has also commented on it as well.
And yes, as already mentioned before, asking for a proper 90hz mode is asking to much, I'm literally talking from experience here as the Rog3 users have been begging for ASUS to fix the display for 9 months now and it still didnt happen. Don't expect a 90hz mode, it's all I'm saying.

ajinkya017
Rising Star II
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/166801#Comment_166801

I already told you, it's absolutely no hardware problem. The display can absolutely do 90hz without a problem, but without a profile, just setting the display to 90hz it will look terrible. Anders has also commented on it as well.

And yes, as already mentioned before, asking for a proper 90hz mode is asking to much, I'm literally talking from experience here as the Rog3 users have been begging for ASUS to fix the display for 9 months now and it still didnt happen. Don't expect a 90hz mode, it's all I'm saying.

View post
I second this. Don't ask for anything new. Highlight issues with current hardware /software and push.
We ROG 3 users are still 'campaigning' for a officially fixed display.
However going through the forums here, is ROG 3 better at the moment? (Yes we adjust gamma for some videos but still :P)