ASUS Zephyrus G14 Inconsistent Battery Life

System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Battery
Model: Zephyrus G14
Frequency of occurrence: Often
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video: n/a
========================
Detailed description:My 2020 Zephyrus G14 has been having inconsistent battery issues ever since I bought it a few months ago. I'll charge it up to greater than 80 percent, and go off the cord and work on some school work, watch some YouTube videos, etc. At this point, the little estimate of how much battery life I have left is around 6-8 hours, depending on the state of charge. I'll check back an hour or two later, and the charge will suddenly be down to under 50 percent, while the estimate says anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours. Anybody else having similar issues? I really like most things about this laptop, but I've had some random gremlins that have really gotten on my nerves (this being one of them).
FYI, it was just recently in for service replacing the entire motherboard after I broke the headphone jack, so that shouldn't be a factor. Let's just say the laptop is slippery...
13 REPLIES 13

Rebooting/Restarting has failed to rectify the issue, and even if it did, it's a serious pain to have to constantly restart after every second charging cycle. Nothing was running in the background that was unexpected or otherwise consuming large amounts of power, just browsing the internet on Edge. I understand that the estimate is just an estimate, but it often matches the estimate: 47% got me an hour and change when it normally does somewhere in the range of 3-5 hours on that same charge.
Is there some way to diagnostic what is going on? It seems like its a BIOS or windows setting that's messing with the battery occasionally (I do have the battery saver set to maximum at all times, bar the automatic dimming of the screen)

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello portlandgeek292,
Long press power button for 40 seconds is resetting CMOS...not just normal rebooting....
You can also enter BIOS and load default setting again.
So what you said "it often matches the estimate" means the real life usually matches the estimation?
If you want to run some diagnostic, there is a tool in MyASUS.
Thank you.

Ok, it's doing it right now as I type. I tried pressing the power button for 40 seconds, and so far that has failed to fix the issue. I'll update this when I get done typing.
There shouldn't be any BIOS settings changed, apart from changing the setting to turn of the ASUS ROG animation sound that infuriates me to no end when its on (Seriously, who's idea was that?).
With regards to the battery estimate, most of the time (~80%) it matches what I find with the battery drain. However, that other 20% of the time it will drain significantly quicker, like right now it says 2hrs and 9 minutes for 60% battery. I've come to expect ~ 4-6 hours on that amount of battery (I've even seen 2 hours from 20% battery, for example).
The only thing I could think would be causing the issue would be my antivirus, but even that isn't hogging resources beyond an unexpected level.
This laptop has given me far more issues than I ever expected. Hopefully you are able to help rectify this.
Update: I've just checked, and it looks like 59% is now estimating 6.5 hours. It looks like resetting CMOS worked this time, but I'll need more chances to properly determine if that's truly the solution.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello portlandgeek292,
Resetting BIOS default setting is not questioning if you changed anything....
I just want the BIOS to reload all the setting again, so maybe some setting that are not implemented properly before would be re implemented.
Just similar to resetting CMOS, let the mechanism reboot again.
These are the easiest way to solve such issue, no need to data reset, driver or application uninstall and install....
No need to worry so much.
Thank you for the update.