This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you think of upgrading to Rog5

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Honestly there are so many weird topics here surrounding the Rog5 being superior and people acting like it's some next evolution.
Guys let me clear some things up for you:
The screen is the same.
the speaker are basicially the same,.
the batterilife is worse on the Rog5 due to higher TDP from the SoC.
The LED on the back, while on paper nice, is something you won't even look at.
No storage upgrade, still capped at 512GB.
Phone will throttle if used over time without aero cooler.
Camera the same.
Audio quality hasn't been improved noticably at all on headphones, for some reason people first now got the memo that the Rog Phones in general have a high quality built in dac.

Overall if you already have a Rog3, there is literally no compelling reason for you to purchase the Rog5, if you have an older Rog phone 1 then you can easily consider it, but upgrading from Rog3 is just silly, even Rog2 I'd still call it a stretch to call it an "upgrade". So please don't be swayed by random reviewers acting like it's some next evolutionary thing.
48 REPLIES 48

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
jin_akira

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156373#Comment_156373

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156406#Comment_156406

@Averan i guess what i was trying to say is something along the lines of what @Danishblunt said; just something creative and different. I felt that when i saw the ROG 3 even if most say that the improvements over ROG 2 were incremental. But the upgrades i listed was something i thought was an effort to try to push it further. Physical shoulder triggers (like the Black Shark 3)? An overclocked Snapdragon 888 (and some creative way to manage the heat)? Anything 'wow'. I'm just not feeling it with the ROG 5. But yes i agree that the Ultimate model is definitely a looker. Though it may not be suitable with a person my age!

View post
Nothing against the design i mean the Rog5 is pretty, but I always found it dumb to focus to much on looks because in the end the phone will land in a case anyways.

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
@Danishblunt just to let you know the display on rog 3 and before is from a Chinese vendor called tianma display, it's mentioned in asian media, not sure why English speaking reviewers don't mention it.
At least from zenphone 7 I can tell the display color is much better than rog 3 that I owned.
I do think the screen itself is a big upgrade

Jaganmohan
Rising Star I
Averan

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156287#Comment_156287

~ Hey starting off I highly doubt that rog 3 has an samsung display if it did wouldn't Asus and other tech sites list it in their specsheet,the vendor of the display wasn't mentioned anywhere not even in the launch event. If it was really an samsung panel Asus would've advertised the name more like they did with Rog 5 yesterday and Zenfone 7 pro last year (that has an 90hz samsung panel)

Rog 5 has DC dimming too (same with Zenfone 7) which I believe is only found in samsung phones?

~ The speaker seems to have new amplifiers and about the loudness thing someone mentioned it an YouTube video I believe it was MeWhosTheBoss's review

~ I dunno but afaik phones traditionally have the integrated Snapdragon dacs ESS is actually an high end dac manufacturer (LG had the same dacs) and the fact that none of the other OEMs have an headphone jack let alone an high end one I think this is a positive then there's further optimisation for dac by dirac for different use cases imo

Plus doesn't rog 3 and mostly every 2020 phone that didn't have an headphone jack not support some headphones with the in box adaptor and you actually need to buy one with and dedicated dac

I think some audiophiles would prefer this whole audio thing

screenshot-20210310-194300699-281-29.jpg

Audiowizard is pretty much the same though

~ Nah it's actually 2 3000 mah batteries and considering by past phones with 65W battery and 4.5k mah battery I don't think there's any considerable degradation

65 W with 6k mah is a sweet combination (I mean some manufacturers are supposedly adding support beyond that like 120W etc) but iirc 30W adaptor is supported too so one can use that if you worry that much

Apart from that for overnight charging and all you have tons of battery care features like rog 3 scheduled charging,slow charging, battery limit so Asus has you covered here

~ Um I'd say that for those who use them it does matter and air triggers is like an gaming add on if you don't use it then okay if use it then great it just got better 🙂

~ Haptic is an essential thing for many though once you experience a good haptics phone it's hard to adjust to an inferior one,haptics while gaming, scrolling through the ui just adds up to the overall experience imo.Plus rog 5 did add certain optimised haptics to certain in game functions

~ Um not really the stuff armory crate and Asus in house software can do hardly any other can do

If you're rooted then things chnages but still the things you get on Asus stock (unrooted) is pretty good you don't have to mess yourself.But I believe many software features should make its way to the rog 3 soon maybe with its android 11 update

View post
There are Other leading OLED manufacturers like LG and AU optronics other than market leader Samsung. Asus never documented anywhere officially whose display is for ROG 3. Is there any reliable source that the display is samsung.

pradhyumna
Rising Star I
Ogghy

Hey, at least there's no black crush and weird tint as i saw a reviewer in my country. And more powerhouse with literally the same price. Sadly theystill not announced the official release date tho in here. Lucky for peeps in europe, taiwan and india that already has an official date. Damn.

View post
Even while launching ROG 3 there were no black crush....
They won't show you while launching...

hermantan89
Rising Star I
The point is, if you only have money to survive, don't buy this "expensive" phone!
Because what you buy here is the "future technology" (5-10 years ahead). Of course the technology is still expensive today.
This is a phone, specifically for high class gamers. You have to understand, what is mean of "high class" here. If you are still thinking about : what to eat tomorrow, school savings, marriage savings, child / parent fees (maybe), credit card bill, or ect, you should not to buy this rog phone series.
But if you born in wealthy family, or have worked well, aha. you are free with your money.
Like iPhone, many people use this phone as a way to "social climb".