This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you think of upgrading to Rog5

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Honestly there are so many weird topics here surrounding the Rog5 being superior and people acting like it's some next evolution.
Guys let me clear some things up for you:
The screen is the same.
the speaker are basicially the same,.
the batterilife is worse on the Rog5 due to higher TDP from the SoC.
The LED on the back, while on paper nice, is something you won't even look at.
No storage upgrade, still capped at 512GB.
Phone will throttle if used over time without aero cooler.
Camera the same.
Audio quality hasn't been improved noticably at all on headphones, for some reason people first now got the memo that the Rog Phones in general have a high quality built in dac.

Overall if you already have a Rog3, there is literally no compelling reason for you to purchase the Rog5, if you have an older Rog phone 1 then you can easily consider it, but upgrading from Rog3 is just silly, even Rog2 I'd still call it a stretch to call it an "upgrade". So please don't be swayed by random reviewers acting like it's some next evolutionary thing.
48 REPLIES 48

momeimada
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156365#Comment_156365

Why are you even talking at this point?

It has a samsung display, the reason they didn't mention was probably because they thought it was obvious by now that almost all flagships that exist have samsung panels. I already asked two resellers which both confirmed that the rog3 panels are indeed samsung panels, this is also in line with the fact that the specs are the same with the Rog5 as well, same responsetime, touch sampling rate, Color coverage and brightness.

DC dimming is not only found on samsung phones, you clearly don't even know what DC dimming is, hell DC dimming was making the black crush on OP 8 phones much much worse. Not to mention Rog3 has DC dimming on by default. The rog 3 has a flicker Reduced certification which means obviously it supports DC dimming and has it on.

Speakers are pretty much the same as in the Rog3, as already mentioned on release the Rog3 was quieter than the Rog2 and some people got annoyed by it, I believe with patch .7x or .9x it speakers got louder and the bass won't be as out of control anymore.

They don't have a headphone jack because it's not really all that common anymore. Most people I know use wireless heaphones. Also personally I don't really care about the heaphone jack as the typeC to 3.5mm adapter makes my cable 10cm longer, that's it, other than that it makes literally no difference. And as I already explained which you completely ignore, while on paper ESS DAC is higher quality, even an audiophile won't be able to notice the difference between the ESS dac and the high quality one qualcom is using, that's the same dumb dicussion about 32bit vs 24bit DAC's, it's just dumb.

Nobody is talking about audiowizard, it's simply an audio processing software that has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.

Yes there is considerable degradation, just because you're ignorant about electronics doesn't mean you can claim whatever you want. Even if the batteries are split, charging at 65Watts will warm both batteries and ruin them over time. Also yes, you can still slow charge, but if thats what you do anyways, having a 65W charging speed is pointless to begin with.

Air triggers have always and are unreliable, nobody is going to use them all the time unless they are extremely casual and don't care, meaning your argument about supposedly improved air triggers is again just bad.

Overall you have demonstrated extremely poor knowledge on hardware and should from now on simply avoid any discussions about it as all you do is talking nonsense. Just face the fact that you fell for the marketing and don't want to realize that the Rog5 is pretty much the Rog3 with a new snapdragon and slight changes.

View post
I agree with you.
But what should Asus do, they have nothing new they can add. That's why this year they focus so much on improving things and changing the design and extra buttons.
It's better than adding dump things to the phone that will make the price higher.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
momeimada

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156401#Comment_156401

I agree with you.

But what should Asus do, they have nothing new they can add. That's why this year they focus so much on improving things and changing the design and extra buttons.

It's better than adding dump things to the phone that will make the price higher.

View post
Just something, I don't know maybe something like quad speaker surround, maybe a fold phone or something like an actual overclocked phone, just SOMETHING. I mean all i hear is how the little display is so amazing but nobody is going to look at it anyways, who wants to put his phone screen down on any surface? That's like asking for scratches on the screen.
All the Rog5 has is gimmicks. ASUS is quite creative, I've seen them do crazy cool stuff on their notebooks but on their phones it seriously feels like creativity is gone.

momeimada
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156404#Comment_156404

Just something, I don't know maybe something like quad speaker surround, maybe a fold phone or something like an actual overclocked phone, just SOMETHING. I mean all i hear is how the little display is so amazing but nobody is going to look at it anyways, who wants to put his phone screen down on any surface? That's like asking for scratches on the screen.

All the Rog5 has is gimmicks. ASUS is quite creative, I've seen them do crazy cool stuff on their notebooks but on their phones it seriously feels like creativity is gone.

View post
I mean with the rog phones, what can they do so it will make it better? I don't think there is a new thing that can do to improve gaming phones, that's why they add 18GB of ram, just for the specs.
Every year all Android flagships use the same CPU because there are no other options and gaming phones overclock it. Maybe Asus in the future can work with phone CPUs to make the phone more special.
I think improving the camera and software updates will allow normal users to use it as a regular phone.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
momeimada

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156406#Comment_156406

I mean with the rog phones, what can they do so it will make it better? I don't think there is a new thing that can do to improve gaming phones, that's why they add 18GB of ram, just for the specs.

Every year all Android flagships use the same CPU because there are no other options and gaming phones overclock it. Maybe Asus in the future can work with phone CPUs to make the phone more special.

I think improving the camera and software updates will allow normal users to use it as a regular phone.

View post
They should announce an official support period for Rog phones right now, there's no confirmed period going by how Rog 1 was supported
A confirmed support period will be helpful to future buyers even if it's 2 os versions and 2-3 yrs of patches

jin_akira
Rising Star I
Averan

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156372#Comment_156372

I don't think camera was an priority for them hence the exact same setup by the way there's an new wide angle omnivision sensor imo comapared to Rog 3 but rest two sensors are same

Algorithm wise maybe there are a few improvements

And they have so much stuff in there did they really have the space for an bigger sensor?even a telephoto requires much larger space or the new imx sensor

The design looks cool tho to be honest especially the white color

But I believe value for money wise Rog 5 base variant 8/128 offers the best value for 800€/50k inr

Pro and ultimate have their positives but it's mostly due to that secondary display some inbox accesories that'll you'll get and the ram and rom variants would've been good to refresh the camera maybe add ip rating, wireless charging and QHD display to the higher en variants? But I believe that's hoping too much from a gaming phone as so many ports so ip is unlikely and Asus prioritises the RGB logo over wireless (many reviewers mention this)

And 888 by itself heats up I don't think an oc'ed 888 is a good idea lol

But according to reviews Rog 5 thermals seems good the cpu is centred so you can't feel much heat on your fingers where you hold the phone and the fans can directly cool the cpu.

Plus I believe there are some thermal related improvements too we'll know more about teardowns by Jerry rig probably 🙂

View post
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/156404#Comment_156404

View post

@Averan i guess what i was trying to say is something along the lines of what @Danishblunt said; just something creative and different. I felt that when i saw the ROG 3 even if most say that the improvements over ROG 2 were incremental. But the upgrades i listed was something i thought was an effort to try to push it further. Physical shoulder triggers (like the Black Shark 3)? An overclocked Snapdragon 888 (and some creative way to manage the heat)? Anything 'wow'. I'm just not feeling it with the ROG 5. But yes i agree that the Ultimate model is definitely a looker. Though it may not be suitable with a person my age!