Well, there is this black crush/banding issue still to be resolved before we forget

ajinkya017ajinkya017 Level 2
edited August 31 in ROG Phone 3

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 3
  2. Firmware Version: .133
  3. Rooted or not:
  4. Frequency of Occurrence:
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

The only one major issue that plagues this device remains unaddressed. The nature of replies to this question have been diplomatic and in many of the cases they have gone unanswered. When is the display going to be fixed? Everyone has been patient enough i believe to get a lowdown on what is going to be done. The treatment this subject has received is unacceptable.

@Anders_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @ARP

PS: Also i have been to the service center, the people there aren't aware of the issue. My display has been replaced due to another defect. The problem persists. I don't want to keep on changing displays when the fix isn't based on the hardware.

Tagged:

Comments

• SaifuddinSaifuddin Level 4

I guess its time we start making this a huge thing but for that we need so so many commenting on this post and i am also making a thread on ideas for next and we need a lots of upvote

• akshujaatakshujaat Level 1

Now I see they have just took time to get over our warranty period... Now it's our High time to file a case in consumer court and get the refund for this shitty product they delivered...

I don't even see mods now speaking... even they are silent... it's been 5 days the A11 Update has been released and updated in official page but there is no FOTA via ota... what does this mean...it's simple enough to understand that they are buying time and making us fools

• SaifuddinSaifuddin Level 4

TW is always the first release and they always first test public stable release in small group of user just to make sure everything is perfect and then they starts mass roll out and i think thats fair and mods are not replying becoz A11 is here so non of the issues of A10 will matter anyway so once A11 is globally out , than they will start replying again to the issues and i think thats okay too

• It will come soon for global also. You can update manually if you wish. Let us be focussed on the display for now. Waited long enough.

I don't really care about the software updates...I just want the phone to be the bug free...In Rog 3 case... I'm hoping for display issues....that's all....I don't mind if they release A11 a year later but atleast they should resolve the display issues and it's been 1 year and no updates on the same .

• as19103as19103 Level 2

Doesn't seem to be happening now. During beta testing moderators told that they are very close to fixing this and then there were like 3 - 4 releases without any fix for this, and then they released it as stable.

• Hi All,

I have been asking everyone facing Black crush or display color issues to visit the service center.

If there is no help provided please mention accordingly here.

• You can't be serious.

@Anders_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS

Guys, stop this madness, this mod is sending people with a software issue to waste the customers and the service centers time.

• Hi Danish,

I understand and have discussed this with the Mods you have mentioned above. Also, the solution you have provided I am aware of it.

It is for users who don't want to wait and want a faster resolution. There is a service process for the same.

• BPMBPM Level 2

Mate, this is not a hardware issue, and no amount of repairs/replacements will fix it (and for someone like me in the US, there's no ASUS repair centers nearby).

This is entirely a software issue, with how the screen is calibrated. The only way this could be fixed by ASUS is with a software update that corrects the screen calibration. The only alternative for us to fix it ourselves is to unlock the phone and install a custom kernel (which presents several challenges there).

In my honest opinion, the ROG Phone 3 is almost phone perfection (for my needs, at least). The only real issue with it is the bloody screen calibration.

• No amount of swapping the display will fix anything. It's entirely software related, even if you were to somehow make a samsung panel from the Rog5 work, it would still be a disaster.

To illustrate how futile it is to send people to the service center, imagine you owning a taxi business, you have 1 guy who simply cannot drive straight, everyone complains about him not driving straight, instead of replacing the driver, you replace his car, guess what, people will still complain and tell you that it's a nightmare to drive with him.

Without a software update the screen will always look like a mess, same as your tacxi driver will always make people uncomfortable without you replacing him,

• The Black Crush is still a problematic thing, and I am surprised none of the major Youtubers talked about it in their review. At 144Hz, the contrast is so shifted that it's just unusable, so I always keep the phone at 90Hz, and even there, the black crush issue is present. It's so unfortunate, as otherwise, the phone has been perfect. I wish Asus at least provided way to calibrate the screen in software, so users advanced users with differing panels could've adjusted the base black level according to their panel, which may have helped in getting rid of it.

Nowadays, I've just conditioned myself to ignore this as there is no other option.

• If you read the post, i have already mentioned going to the service center is not providing any solution. They don't know about this issue.

• ajinkya017ajinkya017 Level 2
    edited July 29

As you have been asking i have already been to the service center if you care to read the post. They don't know anything about the issue.

All in all replacing displays does not solve the issue as that is done already on my device. It would also ironically imply displays kept in stock for servicing also have defects. So kindly suggest something apart from service center visits. It is strange how i have said this on multiple threads and still getting the same 'solution'.

• Are any mods reading this at all?

How are we to get a response?

• They are reading it alright, but at this point it's beating a dead horse.

They are absolutely aware of the color banding issue and they do claim the devs are working on it, wheter or not it will be fixed we don't know.

• It is pretty odd that the only one that responds always says service center. They could exhaust all their spare displays without resolving anybodys problem if all the owners decide to get theirs replaced as i did. Ready to take that loss than solve the problem i guess.

• Nah, only ARP says service center wasting peoples time. The other mods are fully aware that its a software related issue.

This discussion has been closed.