System: UM425IA firmware 304, 305, 306
Battery or AC: Either
Model: UM425IA-NH74
Frequency of occurrence: When waking from sleep
Reset OS: All Windows, ASUS, and AMD drivers up to date for Windows 10
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
After putting laptop to sleep using power button, closing lid, or after powWindows er setting timeout, it sometimes will not wake normally. This seems to happen most when the sleep time is more than a few minutes.
Behavior when trying to wake up the laptop is as follows and it does not matter how the laptop was put into sleep ( closing lid, power button, or timeout) or how the attempt to wake was made (opening lid, power button, keyboard, or trackpad):
Screen will be blue background with mouse cursor showing. Trackpad will not move mouse cursor.
Screen will be black with Windows "Hello" eye only on the screen. Sometimes a message will appear saying to dismiss lock screen, but neither keyboard nor track pad will work.
Screen will be black and nothing happens. Power switch light is slowly pulsing.
When any of these three behaviors happen, the laptop will either:
Do nothing until a hard power off is performed and the computer is restarted OR
Will eventually reboot on it's own (this a full reboot, not a wake up). Upon reboot, the track pad is sometimes not responsive OR
Will go to a blue screen with a Windows "Something Happened" message and the laptop will reboot then. This is different from number 2 above in that it has the Windows message.
After oogling and experimenting, it seems like this issue is related to one of the ASUS/AMD services that run at startup. When I disable these (see ng up from sleep works normally. Leaving these services disabled, though, is not an option as without them things like the backlit keyboard and f,utrackpad, nction keys don't work properly.
@Blake_ASUS : Can you check on this?
@vanbako : Have you seen this behavior on your UM425IA?
17 REPLIES 17

Fletchasus
Star III
VS-KR

Hello,

I had a strange behaviour almost like you a year ago on my ROG PC where enabling nvidia share made my screen unable to react when I lift the panel ... now after several update of nvidia geforce my issue resolved after an nvidia update. So your assumption of a conflict between softwares might be true !

But are all your PC components updated ?

So please take a look on the asus update page for your PC :

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-14-UM425IA/HelpDesk_Download/

Use also the AMD software solution

https://www.amd.com/en/support

I hope it will resolve your issue

View post
Thanks, but as mentioned in the heading of the original post, all Microsoft, ASUS, and AMD drivers are up to date (I'm obsessive about that). The graphics are integrated AMD in this model, so there is no nVidia driver involvement. Additionally, the issue has been consistent across the last three firmware updates (latest was yesterday).

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Fletchasus,
So this issue only happen when waking up from Sleep mode?
how about "Hibernate " mode?
Did you connect any external device to the laptop?
Thank you.

Fletchasus
Star III
Blake_ASUS

Hello Fletchasus,

So this issue only happen when waking up from Sleep mode?

how about "Hibernate " mode?

Did you connect any external device to the laptop?

Thank you.

View post
Thanks for your response. I have not used hibernate on this laptop, so it's only occurred when waking from sleep. I did add the hibernate selection to the start menu power options and can try it and let you know what happens.
I do not have any external devices attached to the laptop and did not have any at any point when seeing this issue.
Since my original post I did notice one other thing that might be the cause and I will follow up once I've tested further.
Regards,
Will

Fletchasus
Star III
@Blake_ASUS it appears that Hibernation wake up works fine. It obviously takes much longer to wake up than sleep would normally and requires pressing the power button (as opposed to just opening the lid or tapping the keyboard like sleep), but there are no issues with the hibernation wake process in the 6 or so times I've tried it.
Also, I mentioned in my previous post that I had a suspicion about a possible cause for the sleep wake up issue. It turns out that my suspicion was wrong. To complete the thought, what was happening is that after updating the AMD video drivers (Adrenalin 2020), Windows Update was replacing them with an older driver. I turned off Windows updating the drivers and reinstalled the latest AMD drivers, but the sleep issue was still there.
Does the fact that waking from hibernation is working make diagnosing the problem with waking from sleep any easier to figure out?
Thanks,
Will