cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenFone 9 randomly restarts

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
Hi all,
I bought an Asus ZenFone 9 from the UK online store. I started to migrate the apps from my old phone to the zf9 and once I finished I started to use my new ZenFone 9 as my main phone. However, I noticed around 3 dso that when i wentato unplug a fter charging the phone it looked as if it has been restarted. I thought it was a software update that somehow just did that so I didn't pay attention but then it repeated again and again every day since.

I started paying attention to it and started trying to disable certain features to see if that made a difference: disabled mobile data, left everything on and now I'm on airplane mode with WiFi on.

I upgraded to the latest version that was pushed some days ago hoping that it would magically solve the issue but... it didn't!

I quick Google Search revealed that sadly this issue is not that uncommon, and has already happened in the UK and Germany to other ZenFone 9 owners.

Is this a hardware problem? Is there a fix or a patch other than simply perform a factory reset and keep seeing the same issue? Can please someone from Asus look into this issue?
Plehank youase tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZenFone 9
Firmware Version: WW_32.2040.2040.23
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: every day
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): not related to an app
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
=================================

screenshot-20220929-111646-settings.jpg
screenshot-20220929-111703-settings.jpg

Scenario: use the phone as usual, leave the phone idle a few times a day, at some point, when you try to use the phone after it sat idle for some time you'll notice that it had restarted because you'll be asked to enter your password again and about/ status will show an up time of just a few minutes
291 REPLIES 291

paweldejko
Star III
HelpingHand

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/237567#Comment_237567

I think Asus could collect the defective phones from people having issues and perform all the required tests. Why shall the customers perform the tests themselves?

View post
And someone has already declared to send the phone to the Asus technical department, do you count if someone from Asus will find you by nicknames and ask you personally to send the device? You have manufacturer's warranties. What is the content of the expertise of Asus service technicians?
There are various errors. Some are easier to remove, others more difficult. I reported a bug with the call log myself, which was resolved in the next software update. The months-long bugs affect not only Aus, but other manufacturers, and eliminating them, especially when the problem affects a handful of users, is very difficult. Take, for example, problems with the lack of notifications on Samsung phones. I found out about the problem a few months ago, and yet people still ask on discussion forums why Messenger notifications do not reach them.
Therefore, the statement that "only Asus is olew" is plain nonsense, because by browsing discussion forums of other brands, you can easily find topics where something does not work for someone, and for others it is OK, and the solution to the problem drags on.
One thing is for sure: if you don't cooperate, no one will send a fairy to you to fix your phone with a magic wand.

amitgil
Star III
One correction on the summary line - the things that get attention are those causing noise and motivating Asus to do something. It doesn't depend on how much you cooperate with Asus, it matters how much Asus feels the pain.

HelpingHand
Rising Star I
paweldejko

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/237571#Comment_237571

And someone has already declared to send the phone to the Asus technical department, do you count if someone from Asus will find you by nicknames and ask you personally to send the device? You have manufacturer's warranties. What is the content of the expertise of Asus service technicians?

There are various errors. Some are easier to remove, others more difficult. I reported a bug with the call log myself, which was resolved in the next software update. The months-long bugs affect not only Aus, but other manufacturers, and eliminating them, especially when the problem affects a handful of users, is very difficult. Take, for example, problems with the lack of notifications on Samsung phones. I found out about the problem a few months ago, and yet people still ask on discussion forums why Messenger notifications do not reach them.

Therefore, the statement that "only Asus is olew" is plain nonsense, because by browsing discussion forums of other brands, you can easily find topics where something does not work for someone, and for others it is OK, and the solution to the problem drags on.

One thing is for sure: if you don't cooperate, no one will send a fairy to you to fix your phone with a magic wand.

View post
Hi Pawel,
Thanks for your speedy reply.
You have manufacturer's warranties. What is the content of the expertise of Asus service technicians?
Not sure if you are referring to the forum moderators or R&D or the technicians at Asus rma. In any case, the moderators here should offer as advice either: "return the phone" and make use of the warranty OR "help us debug the issue", but instead they have people going on a wild goose chase without knowing for sure whether that will lead somewhere. I have already mentioned in previous posts what the solution is but people keep posting, whining and not providing the logs, just going around circles 🤷‍♂️

You said:

I agree with providing logs to troubleshoot the problem if that's what the owners want as opposed to return the phone, but there is clearly a lack of communication here. Transferring the issue to owners is nonsense. We are talking about offering to owners the only solution of debugging rather than be clear and suggest alternatives to owners having this issue (more than a handful by the way!), for example, return the phone or have it repaired.
I understand that if they don't know how to fix the issue via a new firmware they don't know, we are all humans, right?. My issue with all this is why to mislead and entertain people when they can suggest returning the faulty phone instead of debugging. I don't work for Asus and I know the solution, why they don't?. This is not a bug comparable to the ones you mentioned, this is affecting the BASIC functions of the phone, it is not simply "something" that deteriorates the experience its a BASIC FUNCTIONALITY that just doesn't work for some people.
If you buy a washing machine and you notice that it doesn't pour the soap but just lets the water in so your clothes are wet and dirty after using your brand new washing machine, what do you do?. You might call the company and notify them about the issue, and then they might decide to send a technician to fix the issue or simply tell you to return it for further investigation and give you a new one.
Maybe is innocence, a lack of common sense from owners having this issue mixed with a severe lack of communication.

frafa
Star III
In my opinion the problem exists in many devices.
The Asus official assistance in Italy told me to send back the phone. They just asked me to do a full rest and stop.
No one here of Asus team is saying a word about the problem and the possible solution. The first report of this problem were reported in August. 3 month ago. Period.

Leschek
Star III
I had different issues than the reboots, but in my case I have also contacted first the customer service, which advised me to create RMA case and send the phone to technical service department. So I did it. (Yesterday I got the email, that the phone arrived at them, so the investigation has started).
I am sorry, but the forum here is for me not a real place for official complains in front of the Asus. It is just a forum, which helps to exchange an experience between the users, which sometimes helps to resolve something by clarifying a wrong approach of users.
So I would expect that customer service after contact should judge if an issue is an easy one, or maybe unknown/more complicated/more complex and then they advise to send it for technical service, or advice some steps to customer to solve it alone.