This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 9 navigation buttons

Crimis
Rising Star I

I Just received my ZenFone 9 and I always set my Android navigation to "classic" mode. So the three buttons instead of the gestures.
The only problem is I often have to tap the home button 3-5 times now before it's activated. Do more users have this issue or could this be a hardware defect?

Edit: I already figured it out with help of some developer options, it looks like the touch screen is working just fine but the touch area for all 3 navigation buttons is way too small. I have made a screen recording to show the problem.

37 REPLIES 37

Mansi_ASUS
echang01

Yessssss I came from an s10e and the navigation button ratio to the screen is super narrow. I also think the big bezel at the bottom doesn't help but if you can have an option to increase the height ratio of the bottom navigation bar, that would make my day!!!

View post
Hey @echang01,
Are you still experiencing the issue?

I am up to date (dec 5th security update, android 13. Build number is too tedious to type out 🙃). I still experience this issue. This is coming from someone who has been on a full-screen device for 2 years prior using on-screen nav buttons, and never had an issue using them on that device (and ofc didn't back when we had hardware nav bars). 

Looking visually, the bar is a bit small, and an option to make it bigger would be useful.  But I also think making the area around the icons on the bar within the actuation zone would help. If I'm, say 1/3 of the way off between one button and the adjacent one, it's pretty clear I want the one I'm 2x closer to. That should actuate, but it doesn't. As for vertical distance, I think the dead zone is probably still big, although I'd say a larger bar is also a viable solution for that if there is concern of that resulting in more mistypes/clicks that were intended for the apps and not the bar 

I have an even worse problem with this smartphone that I have not encountered with any other Asus model previous to this one from the 6 series onwards: practically the back key is activated automatically...

...inconsultantly detecting touches that I don't give it improvised and not even formatting it I was able to solve the problem. I use it with Android 13 through beta testing.

vex_sb
Star III
I would suggest 3rd option for navigation.
Gestures instead of 3 button, so 3 swipes on bottom of the screen. Copy from samsung.
I have problems with going back when my keyboard is on, to reach any send button on screen or whatever. mostly instead of going back i add some letters in message, bcs keyboard is taking 45% of the screen