Zenfone 9 GPS inacurrate

pietje
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 9
Firmware Version: Android 12, WW_32.2030.2030.26
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): HealthMate (5.11.0), Strava (271.9)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

Hi
when using my phone as a gps tracker i notice that the gps is often behaving very inaccurate for instance in the picture below is was driving the bycicle on the right side off the road and removed my sweater at the red X before continuing my path. The gps said i crossed the road went way offroad and then came back. I also noticed the same behavior when walking around. It tells me im zigzagging accross the street etc. I made sure precise location is on, the apps can run in the background etc but to no avail. I am thinking this is a hardware issue. Or are any other people experiencing the same result?
image.png

When i was on a trip in Barcelona i was testing it extensively, i am just walking on one side of the street instead it shows this zig zag nonsense
screenshot-20220911-201223-health-mate.jpg

Different walk same result.
screenshot-20220911-201242-health-mate.jpg
Same result in strava, i cannot recall me running through houses and zig zagging...
screenshot-20220911-202428-strava.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

huabs619
Star I
I have to say the GPS from this phone indoor is the WORST I've ever had ... it takes forever to find satellites if it even finds any ... I only get 4 !!!! visible satellites indoor within the gps essentials app ... is my device defective or is this a feature?

pietje
Star III
huabs619

I have to say the GPS from this phone indoor is the WORST I've ever had ... it takes forever to find satellites if it even finds any ... I only get 4 !!!! visible satellites indoor within the gps essentials app ... is my device defective or is this a feature?

View post
Do not get your hopes up on getting a reply. Crimis is right the mods do not seem to care.... Just like fixing a faulty product is nothing to care about...

pawelkuzia
Star I
My location is also jumping around the block when I stay still, that's really annoying. If any fixes found here do anything it's unnoticeable. And my sisters cheapo redmi can pinpoint same location like a champ, how could big company mess up with such a standard functionality?

Mattias_ASUS

I got a reply from R&D and it is the following.

If your positioning is inaccurate when using a map app (such as Google Maps), you can use the following methods to improve the positioning accuracy,

1. Open the Settings app on your Android phone or tablet
  2. Tap [Location]
  3. Tap [Location Services]
  4. Turn on [Scan Wi-Fi] and [Bluetooth Scan]

However, if your positioning is sometimes inaccurate in areas with insufficient signal or signal interference or if you use sports apps, there may be a slight error in the trajectory recorded by the map App, because different apps will retrieve location records at different frequencies,

And there may be some errors between the GPS signal and the map coordinate conversion. If you have any doubts, it is recommended that you contact your closest ASUS Service Center for testing.

Sorry but this is wrong... When using the app Gpstest my signal is showing its walking all over the place while my cellphone is laying still. On the same location the pixel 5 and a galaxy a31 have a signal that stays in the same spot... I am also pretty sure its software related since my colleague has the same issue with his zenfone. Or there must be a general malfinction with the gps chips... I am still available to provide more details or tests if the development team wants it....