cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPay (partially) broken, unable to use it for public transport

darklajid
Star III
Hi.
One week in, converted to the Zenfone 9 from a Pixel device. Both are updated to the latest software, OS and apps. For GPay this means I'm on 159.1.1 (the latest at the time of this writing).
With the Pixel I can
Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
Pay for public transport in Singapore, bus and train services: You check in and check out, done
With the Zenfone I can
Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
BUT I cannot pay for public transport. The gantries for train services refuse the payment with "Invalid card" and the bus terminals say something along the lines of "Please select a valid card". This is ... annoying. Annoying enough for me to potentially give up on the phone as a daily driver, because I need this All. The. Time.
Now, by process of elimination, this isn't a problem of
My bank card. It works as a physical card (if I bring it along) and it's the same card registered on both the Pixel and my Zenfone 9
The local infrastructure in Singapore: It works for everyone else, works with the Pixel, works with the physical card, doesn't work with my Zenfone 9
The GPay version: The version is the same across my devices
This leads me to the conclusion that there's something broken in the NFC support on my device, whether it's hardware issues or an (ASUS related) software problem.
Any idea how this could be tracked down and (hopefully) fixed? Being unable to get around my city without bringing my wallet is a hugely annoying issue and enough to regret the Zenfone 9 purchase if it stays unfixed..
30 REPLIES 30

Kris_ASUS
Community Manager
Community Manager
darklajid

Hi.

One week in, converted to the Zenfone 9 from a Pixel device. Both are updated to the latest software, OS and apps. For GPay this means I'm on 159.1.1 (the latest at the time of this writing).

With the Pixel I can

• Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works
  • Pay for public transport in Singapore, bus and train services: You check in and check out, done

With the Zenfone I can

• Pay at supermarkets, restaurants, you name it. The default payment terminal? Works

BUT I cannot pay for public transport. The gantries for train services refuse the payment with "Invalid card" and the bus terminals say something along the lines of "Please select a valid card". This is ... annoying. Annoying enough for me to potentially give up on the phone as a daily driver, because I need this All. The. Time.

Now, by process of elimination, this isn't a problem of

• My bank card. It works as a physical card (if I bring it along) and it's the same card registered on both the Pixel and my Zenfone 9
  • The local infrastructure in Singapore: It works for everyone else, works with the Pixel, works with the physical card, doesn't work with my Zenfone 9
  • The GPay version: The version is the same across my devices

This leads me to the conclusion that there's something broken in the NFC support on my device, whether it's hardware issues or an (ASUS related) software problem.

Any idea how this could be tracked down and (hopefully) fixed? Being unable to get around my city without bringing my wallet is a hugely annoying issue and enough to regret the Zenfone 9 purchase if it stays unfixed..

GPay (partially) broken, unable to use it for public transport
Hi,
What if you install Google Wallet and try again?
Google Wallet - Apps on Google Play

Mansi_ASUS
Hello @darklajid,
Today I got a reply from the R&D team to look further into this matter we require some internal logs and I wonder if you could help us with this.
Please follow the below steps to enable the built-in log tool (Bug reporter).
1.  Open “Calculator APP”
2.  Enter “.19595+=”
3.  Select the Log type according to the issue you want to capture. “General cases” will work for most issues.
4.  After your selection the log tool will exit so you can duplicate the issue or wait for it to happen. Try to use the screen recorder to show your issue when possible. If you can't screen record your issue, then please take a screenshot right after the issue has occurred (as a timestamp) so we know where to look in the log.
5.  Navigate back to the log tool via calculator and Tap "FINISH AND SHARE".
6. It takes several minutes for the log to generate. You can exit and do other stuff in the meantime. A silent notification will tell you once the process is done. Tap the notification and then the share button to upload the file to Google Drive and share the link with a moderator. Just make sure to change the permission first so that everyone with the link has permission to view it.
Note: When you're no longer planning on logging your device, enter “.09595+=” in the calculator and the log tool will stop as well as deleting all stored log files. Make sure to share via calculator. The files found in internal storage -> asus_log are not the correct files (they are only 1.2kb)
----------------------------------
Please send me the log as a PM and I will make sure that the R&D team gets it ASAP. 😃

esp2002
Rising Star I
So I live in Singapore and have been able to use it at shops and on buses. I am currently on Gpay 160.1.1(arm64-v8a_release_flutter) and on system update 32.2030.2030.26. Mind you, when I tapped my phone, the bus terminal said simplygo(I did register with them a long time ago but am unsure if this is the reason it works.)
I had this issue with zenfone 8(both shops and buses didn't work) and couldn't resolve it. Brought it to asus service center, they ran all the standard hardware tests including nfc and everything passed. They weren't able to help further.
Try updating to the latest gpay. If that doesn't work try what @Kris_ASUS said and download google wallet. I already had that in my phone.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
esp2002

So I live in Singapore and have been able to use it at shops and on buses. I am currently on Gpay 160.1.1(arm64-v8a_release_flutter) and on system update 32.2030.2030.26. Mind you, when I tapped my phone, the bus terminal said simplygo(I did register with them a long time ago but am unsure if this is the reason it works.)

I had this issue with zenfone 8(both shops and buses didn't work) and couldn't resolve it. Brought it to asus service center, they ran all the standard hardware tests including nfc and everything passed. They weren't able to help further.

Try updating to the latest gpay. If that doesn't work try what @Kris_ASUS said and download google wallet. I already had that in my phone.

View post
This is probably the solution. Google pay is the old version. Wallet is the new version, I assume its because google is slowly phasing out google pay. Hence its not updated with the newest NFC security things. I assume the NFC works very different in busses to avoid people stealing your money with card readers.