This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving up on my Zenfone 9

darklajid
Star III
I know this isn't the best place to share this, but maybe someone is browsing this board not as a fan and owner, but as a prospective buyer. For these people I want to share the following:
The Zenfone 9 has an amazing form factor, great battery life and a mostly uncluttered (free of bloat) version of Android.
Unfortunately, it's also very very slow (my old Pixel 4A is smoother and we had 5, 6 and now 7 in that series since). The Zenfone 9 stutters, randomly hangs a lot. The second SIM tray never worked okay (I created a thread on this board for this, another user reported the same issue. No follow-up or solution, thread is closed due to inactivity). GPay doesn't work properly for me in some scenarios (and no, it's not my account or card or whatever). Asus did follow up here, but it lead nowhere in the end.
So the phone cannot do the daily tasks I need it for (use my second SIM and/or pay for public transport) and feels more sluggish than a device that is quite a few years older. I'll switch back and just got a screen replacement for the 4A instead.
People that are on the fence about getting this phone: I suggest a hands-on session first. It might be a great device for you or it might not be a good fit - like for me.
34 REPLIES 34

vex_sb
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/237019#Comment_237019

No it shouldnt. You cannot expect a company to honor warranty outside the places they sell otherwise you put huge costs towards a company for no reason. If you want warranty, make sure its sold in your country. There are cost and legal reason as to why ASUS and other manufacturers cannot honor warranty outside the regions they are purchased.

View post
What huge cost ??
They do lose money for not selling phone on some markets, plus they don't do deals with carriers, wich means again less market share.

But, if some guy really wants their phone, and buy it from anywhere, manufacturer should honor the warranty. Even cover half of shipping costs. or all. It is negligible cost for them, only handfull of people will do it.

I bough mine in freaking PC store, not mobile phone store. I just wait to get pissed over with "they're not authorized seller" crap in case of problems.

I bought S21 in Germany, and got warranty in another country with no problems. Same is if you buy a car anywhere in Europe, the law is that manufacturer have to cover their product.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
vex_sb

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/237020#Comment_237020

What huge cost ??

They do lose money for not selling phone on some markets, plus they don't do deals with carriers, wich means again less market share.

But, if some guy really wants their phone, and buy it from anywhere, manufacturer should honor the warranty. Even cover half of shipping costs. or all. It is negligible cost for them, only handfull of people will do it.

I bough mine in freaking PC store, not mobile phone store. I just wait to get pissed over with "they're not authorized seller" crap in case of problems.

I bought S21 in Germany, and got warranty in another country with no problems. Same is if you buy a car anywhere in Europe, the law is that manufacturer have to cover their product.

View post
Shipping, packages can get lost, no gurantee that something happens via shipping either. Having to pay for more service centers in countries etc. Also if a phone sells poorly in a market you loose money, license costs, service centers, marketing on different languages and so on, all that and more has to be accounted for.
They should not honor anything as mentioned before, it makes 0 sense.
Your S21 example is terrible because you moved from 1 country that had a samsung service center to another country that has a service center, thats no issue.
Also your car anology is terrible, if you buy a car in the UK and import it to lets say ireland, you have no warranty either.

Roystoys
Zen Master III
darklajid

I know this isn't the best place to share this, but maybe someone is browsing this board not as a fan and owner, but as a prospective buyer. For these people I want to share the following:

The Zenfone 9 has an amazing form factor, great battery life and a mostly uncluttered (free of bloat) version of Android.

Unfortunately, it's also very very slow (my old Pixel 4A is smoother and we had 5, 6 and now 7 in that series since). The Zenfone 9 stutters, randomly hangs a lot. The second SIM tray never worked okay (I created a thread on this board for this, another user reported the same issue. No follow-up or solution, thread is closed due to inactivity). GPay doesn't work properly for me in some scenarios (and no, it's not my account or card or whatever). Asus did follow up here, but it lead nowhere in the end.

So the phone cannot do the daily tasks I need it for (use my second SIM and/or pay for public transport) and feels more sluggish than a device that is quite a few years older. I'll switch back and just got a screen replacement for the 4A instead.

People that are on the fence about getting this phone: I suggest a hands-on session first. It might be a great device for you or it might not be a good fit - like for me.

Giving up on my Zenfone 9
As a long time user of the zenfone series they lost me when they dropped the flip phone and only use this Z 7 for a spare. The bugs I can live with but the total disinterest by the mod,s to help is ridiculous. These days I don't bother asking Asus as all you,, eventually get is the bot closing your question. Google it instead now. Bye-bye Asus hello apple

darklajid
Star III
vex_sb

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/235183#Comment_235183

So what if he do ??

Warranty should be honored on this particular device no matter where it's bought, because it is without doubt basically new. I found this manufacturer games very shady. They do give 2 year warranty right ?? So, all of them should honor it no matter where is device bought. Why it should be bought at "authorized seller " ?? They are all Asus ZF9 lol.

In my country on Asus page they promote ZF9 and how it can go under water. And we all know they would refuse repair if you bring it and it have water damage, no matter it's their fault with making it waterproof.

View post
Careful, you're engaging a troll that previously tried to explain to me how the public transportation system in the very country I'm living in works ... while sitting in a cave 12h by flight/10,000+km away.
Honestly I did expect a better response from Asus at that point. Because Asus DOES¹ have a presence in this country after all, so who cares where the device is from? Heck, the device wasn't even released long enough for any handset to be out of warranty, so .. I guess I don't quite appreciate how this was handled at that time.
①: I would've linked to the official Asus site and the three service centers listed in this county, but "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links." 🙄
Edit 15/11/2022, 2:10am: At this point I'm not allowed to reply below anymore. "Your comment will appear if it gets approved" is what I just got. Well then, I guess that's the extend of accepting customer discussion and feedback?

vex_sb
Star III
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/237037#Comment_237037

Shipping, packages can get lost, no gurantee that something happens via shipping either. Having to pay for more service centers in countries etc. Also if a phone sells poorly in a market you loose money, license costs, service centers, marketing on different languages and so on, all that and more has to be accounted for.

They should not honor anything as mentioned before, it makes 0 sense.

Your S21 example is terrible because you moved from 1 country that had a samsung service center to another country that has a service center, thats no issue.

Also your car anology is terrible, if you buy a car in the UK and import it to lets say ireland, you have no warranty either.

View post
Look clown, nobody expects that Asus covers anything shipping related, from paying to finding the package, That is post office job. They are expected to deliver the phone to fedex, and honor the damn guarantee. Nothing less, nothing more. Why they should - because they do not have any service centers around.
"Your S21 example is terrible because you moved from 1 country that had a samsung service center to another country that has a service center, thats no issue.
Also your car anology is terrible, if you buy a car in the UK and import it to lets say ireland, you have no warranty either."

But that same car also have service center in all countries around, so for phone case is no issue and for car you approve issue ?? LoL . You really have problems hahaha ???