This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aptX Adaptive codec defaults to low quality when the phone is being used while streaming audio

illegalmushroom
Star III
  1. Model Name: Zenfone 9 ASUS AI_2022
  2. Firmware Version:  33.0804.2060.100
  3. Rooted or not: Not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Always Reproductible
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Spotify / YouTube Music 

I have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 4 Bluetooth headphones which support aptX Adaptive, the same as the Zenfone 9. However, every single time I connect them to my phone, I have to manually go into settings, go into Developer Options, look for 'Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' and manually change from Default to Qualcomm aptX HD audio.

Every single time. If I don't do this, then I could start streaming music from Spotify or YouTube and I would notice that initally the quality is great, everything sounds great, clear, great instrument separation, good bass, everything you'd expect from such a good pair of headphones. But if I keep using my phone for 30 more seconds after choosing a track, in any way (including simply scrolling through Spotify), the quality drops to some muffled, muddy, almost Mono sounding garbage that probably would fall under the SBC category of codecs in terms of sound quality.

It is truly a night and day difference, and I suspect this happens because something is causing the phone to think that it needs an ungodly amount of power or system resources or something in order to stream in aptX HD quality, so it drops it back to some terrible codec instead. So every time, unless i play music and immediately lock my phone and don't touch it, if i want to keep using it i have to manually change the codec in developer options.

I'm using Dynamic Power mode. How do I stop this from happening? I strongly believe this is abnormal behavior and something related to Battery usage or something else, but if it's not and it is supposed to work this way, then surely there must be a setting that I can turn off or something easier and more accessible than reaching deep into Developer Options for this particular Bluetooth Codec setting each time.

It's getting rather frustrating. Please advise if you've any tips, and please reply if you've also encountered this problem. I've yet to determine if it's the fault of my headphones or the phone.

Regards,

illegalmushroom

5 REPLIES 5

illegalmushroom
Star III

bump. anyone?

bump again ... literally no response? not even from the moderation team?

illegalmushroom
Star III

double bump

reebokable1
Star II

Same problem with the ROG 7 here. They just casually ignored this lol