This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Asus and all owners of a dead Zenfone 8

leoncarrera
Star III

By now is it clear the Asus Zenfone 8 has a weakness when it comes to its motherboard. Phones are dying in very comparable situations; after installing an update or patch and/ or when charging. The died phones show the same state: a sudden black screen, no response on buttons or screen, sometimes an orange fast blinking LED for about ten seconds when the charger is attached, after which also this stops blinking. Even the life duration of the phones are alike when this happens;  around two years.  Some people are lucky that it can be repaired under warranty, most aren't when warranty has just expired.

All of the phones which were repaired received a new motherboard. So also in here the fix seems comparable. Or at least not repairable with a soldering or partial replacement of other components. There is no wide variety of repairs to be found on ZenTalk on this. 

This issue goes beyond individual or even wrong use, a single faulty or unfortunate phone. All phones that died did this in comparable situations and after comparable life times. There is something wrong with the design or components of the Zenfone 8, or at least a batch, which can't be put on warranty alone when it comes to a repair. 

Asus, please take this matter and your clients serious. At least more then you have proven till this date. Asus can't just address this matter with the initial question if the phone is still under the warranty. Asus does know what the technical issues are with these phones, so please then also take your responsibility. Asus put this premium phone on the market at a premium price. This comes with an expected life duration that goes beyond a hard line of just 24 months. Warranty is for specific situations. These dying Zenfones are not specific. It is a general issue. So please handle it as such.

Can Asus confirm that they will keep addressing issues regarding these dying Zenfones as individual technical matters? And thus with warranty as strict and main component to define if Asus or customers are financially responsible for further action? And if so, what is their response to these resembling dying phones that Asus will keep holding onto this strict warranty duration when it is clear customers can't be held responsible for their broken Zenfones, since they die during normal use or especially after installing new and updated Asus firmware?

To all users of a died Zenfone 8: please add your phone to this thread, when it died (lifetime) and on which occurence. 

Kind regards,
León

147 REPLIES 147

Mine was making weird noises too but only when a certain app (a fitness app) was open, even if only in the background. It was a buzzing, quiet but audible when no other noises in the room.

kissz9
Star II

Hi There,
As of @nvubu's request I place this issue here.

I have the same issue. I bought my Zenfon 8 on 25 May 2021 and died on 29 April 2024. I took it to 2 different services. Not to a dedicated Asus service because it does not exist in my city. They have no idea what the problem is. I never dropped it. It was never ever underwater. Never rooted or unlocked. Never left in the sun. Always in case. Hardly any time charged more than 80%. Still, in case of a restart, it stopped and never started again. With no earlier sign of any problem. I am very disappointed. I was expecting more from Asus, especially because I have been using Asus notebooks for more than 20 years.
Asus service is also hopeless. I asked them what to do, and they sent me back the information anyone could find on this link and what I also found in 2 minutes when my phone died.
[Phone/Pad] Troubleshooting - Phone can not boot up | Official Support | ASUS Global
I just don't understand why they think I am stupid! 😞  Very annoying.
Good luck, everyone! And if anyone finds a solution, please let me know!
SN already shared in PM with @Falcon_ASUS as of his/her request.
Cheers,

Ati_Fang
Star I

Really disappointing. Bricked while charging at night after approx. 24mths from purchase. I used the phone memory to store some documents so I could easily access it across different computers now thats all gone along with photos etc.

Unacceptable - @asus the life expectancy of this type of device should be way better!

Falcon_ASUS

@Ati_Fang 
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please check the top right corner and kindly share the serial number and details requested in the PM inbox.
Thank you.

kissz9
Star II

Dear Everyone,

I thought this information can be useful. 
For that you should know my mobile is out of warranty period.

I received an e-mail from ASUS Support. They offered me the pick-up, diagnosis and repair of my dead mobile.
"

Labor Cost: 48.00 euros + VAT

Collection and delivery: 16,5 euros + VAT (8,25 euros + VAT for each side)(If your address is in the Balearic Islands transport services have a cost of 40€+VAT)

If you decide not to accept the budget, you will only have the diagnostic orders (30€ + VAT) and the logistics/transport service.
"

It is not worth repairing. So, I am not sending it.
The cheapest price I found for a new one was €344. As a used one, I can sell mine for €200 or less.
For that, at first, I must spend €64.50 + VAT, which is probably around €78, and still, nothing has changed.
Then there is the reparation. The last repairman who saw it said it needed at least the battery and the connector changed. That cost €132. €132 + €78 = €210, which is more than the money I can get for it.
And still there can be another problem(s) which is/are not counted yet.

Well, obviously, I am not going for it.
I am not even going to buy another ASUS mobile, either, at least not in the next five to ten years. So, ASUS has the time to improve the quality of these products.

I am very--very disappointed with the lifespan of this flagship product!
Cheers,