cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader thread [Mod adjusted thread title]

n3b
Star II
Hello,
Overall very happy with my ZenFone 8, but I'm running into an issue where the fingerprint reader has basically not worked properly since coming out of the box, usually telling me the sensor is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned.
I managed to get it to remember 2 thumb prints after lots and lots of effort,
It will recognize either print maybe 1 out of 10 times on the lock screen,
Deleting/re-adding the prints did not help much.
I have other phones with standard fingerprint sensors (Samsung) that work perfectly fine, so my skin is probably not the culprit here.
Note: phone is running latest software (.44) and screen is clean, no protector.
Anyone else experience a similar issue and is there a fix? I'd rather not return the phone 😞
88 REPLIES 88

robybaggio11
Star III
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/173184#Comment_173184

If you want it to be visible at all times, then you need to use AOD which is quite battery consuming. I believe it's worth your time to tap the device once more to save that battery juice.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/173405#Comment_173405

I don't know how long it takes for your device to unlock. It takes less than a second for my ZF8 to unlock which I would say is totally acceptable but we will certainly continue to tune it to make it even more reliable

View post
I already have AOD enabled, but the fingerprint image is not always visible, only time, date, and notifications are. my request is exactly to add the fingerprint image in the AOD to the elements always visible

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
robybaggio11

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/173416#Comment_173416

I already have AOD enabled, but the fingerprint image is not always visible, only time, date, and notifications are. my request is exactly to add the fingerprint image in the AOD to the elements always visible

View post
Ah ok I see now. I wasn't patient enough to see it disappear 😆 I asked if we could make it appear all the time and the reply was no because then there's risk for burn-in and we don't want that

rush09
Star III
With the new update, it seems to be better, but you need to work on improving it even more. If it was unlocked the first time, then it is almost always 10/10. But if it hasn't passed since the first one, it happens only 3-4 times. there is a problem with random unlocking. This is what we need to work with so that it turns out the first time.The speed of unlocking, although it floats, then faster, then slower, but in general it suits, while the main thing that I don't like is problems with random unlocking.

rush09
Star III
10/10 I mean if in a row. And if the first one didn't work out, then you need a few more attempts.

daniel91m
Rising Star II
A few more comments from my side:
- the biggest problem with thumbs (damaged skin on the finger?)
- if the reader does not want to read the fingerprint correctly, restarting the smartphone improves the situation (the reader did not want to read my finger at all, I removed it from the saved ones and wanted to reload it.It was not possible, because the message that the screen is dirty, etc., I read after the restart new fingerprint without major problems)

I think this reader still works badly