This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choppy 3rd party video recording issue *with proof/comparison*

off2fly115
Rising Star II
Hello, all. I use Snapchat/Instagram a lot and I noticed that the Zenfone 8 records extremely choppy in semi low and low light in general compared to the Zenfone 6. Being a newer model than the Zenfone 6 with a supposedly better camera, I fail to understand how the Zenfone 8 has poorer performance in lower light and records super choppy. It's especially noticable when you look around with the camera and zoom in on things. The mic performance is also far better on the Zenfone 6. I can BARELY hear myself with the Zenfone 8 when reviewing 3rd party videos unless I turn my volume all the way up compared to the Zenfone 6.
Test videos are down below. I used both Zenfone 6 and 8 and both videos were shot in the same exact lighting and environment.
@CH_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Kris_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS

6 REPLIES 6

me_0mby8
Star III
Hi, Can you clarify which video file is from which device so that one does not mistake one for the other.

off2fly115
Rising Star II
me.0mby8

Hi, Can you clarify which video file is from which device so that one does not mistake one for the other.

View post
The videos have a caption and are already labeled in the video once you watch it. The Zenfone 8 is clearly choppy or at least looks like the fps in low light is horrible compared to the Zenfone 6. Also as I mentioned, the mic on the Zenfone 8 for third party apps is extremely quiet and distorted. Lmk what you think. Thanks! - Branden 😁

me_0mby8
Star III
Ah, Sorry. I didn't open the file. I just saw the file names and was like ok let not someone the wrong file and be like nothing wrong to see here let's move on.
Just as something am curious about can you find if the phone is using camera api2 /camera2. If so to what extent.
Here is a link for lil details and how to check: https://www.xda-developers.com/camera2-api/
As for why I ask about camera2 here is another link: https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/snapchat-upgraded-its-android-camera-quality-with-10-year-old-s...
As for the article about snapchat I'd guess they would have rolled out to using camera2 api primarily by now given the article is a few years old now.
But maybe there is a difference with the  "four different support levels for the Camera2 API" as mentioned in the xda article and so as to amount of data an app can access. Or I'm not sure if asus has set some kind of check in place to check for something like package name or signature to allow access to certain parts of the camera's data.
I'd really like someone from asus to say hey this is the technical details of why you have so and so issue in a understandable way maybe for those who are curious.

off2fly115
Rising Star II
Hello, I use Snapchat/Instagram a lot and I noticed that the Zenfone 8 records extremely choppy in semi low and low light in general compared to the Zenfone 6.
Being a newer model than the Zenfone 6 with a supposedly better camera, I fail to understand how the Zenfone 8 has poorer performance in lower light and records super choppy. It's especially noticable when you look around with the camera and zoom in on things. The mic performance is also far better on the Zenfone 6. I can BARELY hear myself with the Zenfone 8 when watching 3rd party app recorded videos unless I turn my volume all the way up compared to the Zenfone 6. The Zenfone 6 used be very bad with 3rd party apps like Snapchat when it first came out, but I made a bunch of threads and you guys were able to fix it perfectly. Hopefully you guys can do the same for the Zenfone 8 👍🏼
Test videos are down below and are labeled with captions saying which vid is shot with which phone. I used both Zenfone 6 and 8 and both videos were shot in the same exact lighting and environment.
@Kris_ASUS @Ander
@Anders_ASUS @CH_ASUS