This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM / Anti-flicker mode effectiveness

Johannes
Star I

Hey everyone, so I recently went from my ZenFone 7 Pro to a ZenFone 11 Ultra and I noticed, that the "Low brightness anti-flicker" setting is much less effective than the dc dimming option the ZenFone 7 Pro had.
Even with Low brightness anti-flicker on, I quickly get eye strain and, after prolonged usage, headaches as well.

However I noticed, that the PWM dimming the ZenFone 11 Ultra uses on the lock screen is much better. It's almost like the dc dimming on ZenFone 7 Pro. This is much more comfortable for me to use.

Is there a possibility that we could get a setting to always use the dc dimming like on the lock screen?
This would make the Phone much more usable for me.

I have attached an image showing both modes of PWM, captured with shutter value of 1/5000. This is both with low brightness anti-flicker on already.

2 REPLIES 2

Mansi_ASUS

Hi @Johannes,
Have you tried enabling the Eye Protection Mode? Settings > Display > Eye Protection Mode

Hey @Mansi_ASUS 
Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, I have tried it but it didn't seem to help. Eye Protection Mode seems to be just a combination of low brightness anti-flicker, night light and extra dim, and it doesn't seem to reduce my PWM problems beyond what low brightness anti-flicker does on its own.

It seems like an oversight that the phone is capable of dc dimming (as seen on the lock screen) but does not have the option to enable it all the time.