This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 7 Ultimate became fully unresponsive

KhatibFX
Star II

So today I had my first major issue with my ROG 7 ultimate global edition (from Taiwan). It's on the latest firmware (last digits are 217), and while I had it connected to my ar glasses (Xreal air), I turned the phone screen off to get my food order, and when I tried to turn it back on, it didn't respond.

I tried multiple times, then I thought it maybe somehow turned itself off, so I pressed and held the power button, but to no avail. The phone had 70% battery at the time this happened.

I tried to connect it to charger, but the screen remained off. I tried the squeeze gesture to turn the flashlight, but nothing happened. Tried holding the power button various times while connected to charger, disconnected from charger, but no response.

Finally, feeling helpless, I tried holding all 3 buttons together (power, volume up and volume down) for like 5 -10 seconds, and it somehow booted up and is now running fine like before.

Was a really scary experience, especially hearing about previous generations of rog phone having motherboard failures, and thinking I lost everything on the phone, and have to send it in for repair, especially since I live in a different country from where I bought it.

Anyone had similar experience before, and anyone has any idea why holding all 3 buttons would work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mattias_ASUS

Volume down and power does a power reset, which is almost the equivalent of taking out a battery for 15 seconds.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mralviar
Star III

I usually had that problem with my then ROG 3. It suddenly shuts down and does not turn on even when holdong doen the power button for more than 3 secs. plugging it in a charger, the notif light does not turn red. A good ol' soft reset does the trick ( Power Button + Volume down), just like what you did.

azwadrab
Rising Star I

Its an unusual event. no need to worry I guess.

Button tricks -

1) pressing volume up then holding power button will lead you to fastboot mode

2) pressing volume down then holding power button will lead you to recovery mode.

3) pressing volume down + power same time for couple of seconds it will force restart.. thats happened in your case.

Mattias_ASUS

Volume down and power does a power reset, which is almost the equivalent of taking out a battery for 15 seconds.