pesterevyasha
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG6
Firmware Version:220
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: every time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Dear developers, I have upgraded my ROG5 to ROG6. I was very surprised by the sound of the speakers not for the better. DXO claims the second place of ROG6, which I categorically cannot agree with, having ROG5 and ROG6 in my hands.
Below I will provide a direct comparison. At the moment I want to say that ROG5 sounds like a real music center. You feel the sound from 20Hz to the highest kHz clearly. In ROG6 I hear 50% bass vs ROG5, dont a subbuffer. The midrange frequencies in the vocal area play loudly, its good. But, there is no sense of mass on the vocals. Further, the area beyond the midrange - the "area of detail" plays with hissing and strains the ear. And finally, the high frequencies - they are strangled, they are almost inaudible, there is no "brilliance".
screenshot-20221118-152900-browser-1-1.jpg
Dear developers, make the sound on ROG6 as wonderful as ROG5. You have raised the bar very high for the sound of mobile speakers in ROG5. Be kind and continue to match!
Video Versus
Left ROG6 - Right ROG5

21 REPLIES 21

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
and before you think it's just a speaker replacement:
Teoh96

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG 5
  2. Firmware Version: 18.0840.2201.229
  3. Rooted or not: not
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: since today 04-04-2022 (maybe after 5pm)
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

my speaker suddenly no sound, before it happen i still can watch youtube, tiktok listen music and make a phone call. I think after 5pm, my phone speaker suddenly no sound..... eventhought i turn off and restart still like that, but i connect computer speaker or earphone still have sound. Just handphone speaker cannot work, still no sound. Anyone can help fix the problem??? T_T

My rog 5 speaker no sound
This is dead dacs, only solution is to "replace motherboard". Just a headsup before you think youll get away flashing old config, use until you break speakers and simply replace speakers for cheap.

waxy78611
Zen Master I
Danishblunt

@waxy78611

I did some digging and it seems the Rog5/Rog6 both use 2 amps, altho for whatever reason they don't show up as 2 like they would on the Rog3. Hence the confusion, however because the CS35L45 is a mono amp, it's impossible to drive 2 speakers with a single amp, that being said.

After looking at the specsheet I understand what ASUS is going for.

https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proBulletin/CS35L45_Product_Bulletin.pdf

Here is the official product specs, the interesting part comes here:

6.8 W @ 1% THD+N into 8 Ω

Problem with that is, you need actual speakers that can sustain it, also you need cooling to sustain each amp as well. On the Rog6, the speakers themselves have been downgraded to the point where they simply cannot operate at the "same settings" as the rog5 (cracking, amp detecting overheating, disabling bass etc.), not to mention ASUS has degraded the speakers on the Rog5 afterwards for a reason. The rog5 has a noitorious problem where the solderballs will crack over time causing the well known issues (broken wifi, phone not turning on), this is related to the constant cooling down and heating up of the phone.

Esentially the solution OP has proposed, is, rooting your phone aka throwing away your warranty and revert to a configuration ASUS has downgraded because they didnt want mass dead phones on the DAC/Speaker level. Now if you want to play "poker" then root your phone and run with old config and see what happens. Personally, I would not recommend it, unless you plan on switching very soon anyways and don't mind potentially a paperweight afterwards.

ASUS essentiall got tired of this:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031231/uploads/030AHSMXLU7Z/rog-speaker.mp4

Now once again, feel free to break you phone if you want, you have been warned tho. Personally, i'd probably recommend waiting for another phone.

View post
Interesting, so although the Rog 6 has 2 amps, there's still no way to have the same or similar quality sound as the Rog 5? Can't any software update improve the Rog 6 or is the hardware just not good enough?

FunBike31
Community Legend I
pesterevyasha

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/239370#Comment_239370

The only problem is the need for a good Dirac setup.

When I had Root on ROG5, I replaced the dirac_resource.dar system file from different ROG5 firmware (A11.88, A11.231) to have better sound on speakers and headphones.

This system file needs to be modified so that ROG6 sounds at the same level as ROG5.

View post
Audio was broken with firmware .57 through .81
Fixed but only partly with .86 and no further deterioration until latest A11 firmware but audio never regained bass depth, spacialization and dynamics from before .57 (received with .47 for me of memory)

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
waxy78611

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/239386#Comment_239386

Interesting, so although the Rog 6 has 2 amps, there's still no way to have the same or similar quality sound as the Rog 5? Can't any software update improve the Rog 6 or is the hardware just not good enough?

View post
The Rog6 has downgraded speakers, they cannot handle the amps at full blast. If your AMP can output effectively 6watts, then having speakers that can only sustain 2 watts will be a bottleneck (example). On the Rog5 it seemed "stock" the amps where simply going overboard causing them to die, hence ASUS had to step in to degrade the sound in order to prevent them from dying as you saw with the topics mentioned above. The rog6 however had reported crackling and disabled bass in many instances which are very likely caused by the CS35L45's speaker protection, aka the speakers are at their limit. They have a certain hardware limitation on what they can do, and with that "budget" they need to "spend" it wisely. Bass being the most "expensive" of them all. The smartest would be to go for a v shape from a "music" perspective, however that would give ASUS quite some backlash as the midrange is by far the most important range for gamers, so they are sort of in a difficult position where they seem to have taken a "Rog2" / "Red Magic" approach where they seem to opt for a bright shape instead which certainly will make gamers more happy but will make music feel very tinny and boring for many.
If you're willing to mod your phone, you could get good sound out of the Rog5 and possibly the Rog6, this would require customized speakers and some cooling for the amps.

FunBike31
Community Legend I
Danishblunt

@waxy78611

I did some digging and it seems the Rog5/Rog6 both use 2 amps, altho for whatever reason they don't show up as 2 like they would on the Rog3. Hence the confusion, however because the CS35L45 is a mono amp, it's impossible to drive 2 speakers with a single amp, that being said.

After looking at the specsheet I understand what ASUS is going for.

https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proBulletin/CS35L45_Product_Bulletin.pdf

Here is the official product specs, the interesting part comes here:

6.8 W @ 1% THD+N into 8 Ω

Problem with that is, you need actual speakers that can sustain it, also you need cooling to sustain each amp as well. On the Rog6, the speakers themselves have been downgraded to the point where they simply cannot operate at the "same settings" as the rog5 (cracking, amp detecting overheating, disabling bass etc.), not to mention ASUS has degraded the speakers on the Rog5 afterwards for a reason. The rog5 has a noitorious problem where the solderballs will crack over time causing the well known issues (broken wifi, phone not turning on), this is related to the constant cooling down and heating up of the phone.

Esentially the solution OP has proposed, is, rooting your phone aka throwing away your warranty and revert to a configuration ASUS has downgraded because they didnt want mass dead phones on the DAC/Speaker level. Now if you want to play "poker" then root your phone and run with old config and see what happens. Personally, I would not recommend it, unless you plan on switching very soon anyways and don't mind potentially a paperweight afterwards.

ASUS essentiall got tired of this:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031231/uploads/030AHSMXLU7Z/rog-speaker.mp4

Now once again, feel free to break you phone if you want, you have been warned tho. Personally, i'd probably recommend waiting for another phone.

View post
The rog5 has a noitorious problem where the solderballs will crack over time causing the well known issues (broken wifi, phone not turning on), this is related to the constant cooling down and heating up of the phone.
One of the first hypotheses I made, soldering problems, bad bath, excessive heat, I like it when I'm not completely off the mark 🙂
I will add that the location of these welds is located at the point of flexion, the habit of users fashion trouser pockets and the design of series 5 and 6 is incompatible