Camera not working right with "clicks" sound

MashPotato
Star II

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Asus ROG 6
Firmware Version: Android 13, WW_33.0610.2810.61
Rooted or not: Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: Always after light use
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Camera app (Main back camera and ultrawide) prevalent in other apps too.

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

So it happened to me too, out of nowhere back camera start to flip back and forth with wrong colours displayed. All the while clicking sound occurs and everytime the camera becomes unresponsive until phone shuts down if the camera app is on long enough.

Been using the phone for 5 months, guess I'm lucky that's 5 months more than other users before problems shows up. Reading up on the issue it seems power IC chip failure and the clicks are a protection circuit? I'm no expert but look at the problematic chip thermals below.

Screenshot_20230119-084225_AIDA64.png

The pm8350b-ibat and pm8010i can't be in spec with 93 C right. Very dissapointed, warranty is still up but one have to backup everything to a reserve phone in the meantime while waiting on repairs. Have yet to send it to a service centre as this just happened yesterday. Customers time is less important than just getting out a phone I guess.

Hopefully asus can do better in the future. Users who have similar problems seeing this I suggest you check the chip thermals.

Update: After sending it for warranty repair, entire motherboard was replaced. Hence confirming it is a hardware issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I

As messi was mentioning, it seems to be the obligatory defect on the phone. 

You already read up on it so youre probably aware of the fact that its a hardware defect. 

Get it service center repaired and pray they wont rip you off because of the wildly different quality of the service centers based on locations. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MashPotato
Star II

Example photos when the camera app is responsive:

P_20230119_105828.jpg

P_20230119_105855.jpg

  

Lord_Messi
Zen Master II

That's the defect from this phone

ROG 3 : Black Crush

ROG 5 : WIFI module dead

ROG 6 : Camera dead

Can't wait to see what's defect they will bring to ROG 7

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I

As messi was mentioning, it seems to be the obligatory defect on the phone. 

You already read up on it so youre probably aware of the fact that its a hardware defect. 

Get it service center repaired and pray they wont rip you off because of the wildly different quality of the service centers based on locations. 

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.