This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi just stopped working on the ROG Phone 5s

StalkerPhantom
Star II

So I was running the Rog phone 5s without updating it for quite a while( i didn't update is cuz I heard about these issues) so today I had to factory reset the phone and I think it auto updated? Cuz my wifi doesn't work anymore, no matter what I try, I've never rooted the device and this device hasn't been exposed to high temps(or even reached high temps) after looking at all the posts about people having this issue I'm completely lost, is Asus going to do something about it? Is there a class action lawsuit? How do I fix it cuz there is no way I'm paying for a motherboard replacement and the phone is out of warranty as well. Tried flashing the latest firmware and OS on their official website , didn't help a single bit, safe mode didn't help either.

Ethernet and mobile data do work, so how do I go around this wifi issue as all I've heard and seen till now is either motherboard replacement from an authorised service centre or some shop opening the phone and replacing the chip which looks shady , any ideas what to do? 

I thought what if I could get a usb c dongle for wifi but I don't seem to see on(atleast on Amazon India) this solution seems impractical as well

When is Asus going to do something about this?will going to small claims help?

Before someone tells me to go near the router and check my router listen up

I try to switch on wifi or for that matter mobile hotspot which never seem to turn on , it shows wifi mac address unavailable and im not able to see any networks in the vicinity although I've tested my networks with other phones as well

S21 ultra and s21 fe , same dist as Rog phone from router (~50 cm) 5Ghz max signal strength, iphone x shows the same results as well. I've tried another router as well with the same results.

Another question too, aren't wifi and Bluetooth supposed to be handled by the same chip? Bluetooth works fine this totally seems like a software issue? Why is Asus asking us to replace the motherboard, are they trying to cover up a defect in the board by making us replace it and purposefully issuing a software update to brick wifi connectivity??

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, always willing to learn new stuff ^⁠_⁠^

8 REPLIES 8

Falcon_ASUS

@StalkerPhantom 
According to what you described, please refer to the following FAQ to try to troubleshoot your Wi-Fi problem first. 
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1006657
If the issue persists, I have PM you for confirming your product warranty.
Please check the PM inbox at the top right corner of the screen and kindly provide the requested information.
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Kings
Star II

I got the same problem too. By my Bluetooth does not work too. I saw various thread on this matter and is hoping to have a solution soon too beside changing the motherboard. Have anyone tried downgrading the updates and if it works? Wanted to ask in another thread but the thread was closed.

StalkerPhantom
Star II

I don't see any solution to this tbh, I went to the local service centre and they quoted me a price of 43000 for the mb replacement. I bought the phone at 50k

Asus isn't going to do anything about it, I asked them if they could get me back to Android 12 but that doesn't seem to be possible. 

I've spoke to local shops that specialize in board level repairs, they told I'd need to replace the wifi ic and quoted me a price of 5k

I'm pretty fed up with this as I expect phones to last for quite a while, I have old phones ranging from the iphone 3g to the Nexus 4 which still work upto this day, but the Rog phone just died in a year, kinda sad and if nothing is done I'll just lodge a complaint against asus in consumer court

@StalkerPhantom 
I have forwarded the information to the relevant department.
We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.