noldoli
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 5
Firmware Version: WW_18.0840.2104.56
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Phone Calls
First off, to give credit where it's due and all, it's a decent phone with a big battery, 3.55mm jack, good screen, fast chips, practically up-to-date Android and its security updates etc. Well done & thanks for all of that.
But then, to my horror and shock, I've discovered that Rog 5 doesn't support VoLTE (and VoWiFi) with any of the three Australian carriers (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone & their respective MNVOs)! That functionality is quite relevant to me: At my workplace, I get decent 4G (thanks to band 28 operating on 700 MHz spectrum) as opposed to 3G operating on higher spectrums. So, the 3G call quality is pretty bad. In addition, my carrier has been slowly discontinuing 3G for eventual minimum-4G-only in a few years. IOW, this problem is going to get only worse for us.
Seeing how even ~$300 segment smartphones are supporting VoLTE (and VoWiFi), I can't believe that Rog 5 costing many hundreds of dollars more dearly doesn't support this essential functionality!
Being generally pleased with the phone, I was honestly going to recommend it to friends and colleagues. However, due to the "phone" feature of this so-called smartphone being stuck in last century for us in Australia, I obviously won't be recommending it to anybody. In fact, I'll make it a point to "enlighten"anybody considering it with this extreme shortcoming, so that they don't make the same mistake as I did: i.e., assuming that an Asus smartphone released in 2021 would support mobile technology from at the very least yesteryears (while it actually does not!).
As a user, I shouldn't have to care/worry about whatever logistical/technical issues you've for getting the essential VoLTE feature (VoWiFi) supported in Australia. How is that a user's problem? So, do get this feature implemented ASAP please.
I won't be fooled for the second time by future Asus phones. Without Asus implementing this feature in Rog 5, regrettably this would be my last Asus phone (and I assure you, so will it be in the circles of my influence too). Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

noldoli
Star III
Ended up buying a new Moto G 5G Plus, for a fraction of the price I originally paid for Rog 5.
With Moto, not only on the mobile network carrier of my choice in Australia, but also even in their competitor's network (checked it out with my friend's SIM), VoLTE (and VoWiFi) works just fine. An excellent outcome for the decent money paid for it.
Now Rog 5 phone has become a glorious WiFi-only Rog 5 (doesn't deserve to be called a "phone") for me. If possible, up the road, l'll have to explore how to get "Australian" VoLTE unofficially activated on my device, though I'm not incredibly motivated to do that, as I expect it to be quite difficult. We'll see.