This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 5s not recognized in fastboot mode, but ADB works. Windows driver issue?

billfactor
Star I
Model Name: ROG Phone 5s (ZS676KS)
Firmware Version: WW_18.1220.2111.160
Rooted or not: Not until I fix this...
Frequency of Occurrence: Every time
========================================
I received my ROG 5s this week and I've hit a wall trying to root it.
So far, I have been able to unlock the bootloader using Asus' app. My phone displays the unlocked bootloader warning on every boot.
I can't make fastboot work... the "adb reboot bootloader" command does work. I can also boot using the power + volume up button. But the "fastboot devices" command always comes up empty.
I found two possible reasons why fastboot doesn't work. So far I failed to fix either one.
First, the "OEM unlocking" option is missing in my developer options menu. I have the "USB debugging" option checked off. Many of the guides I read online say to allow OEM unlocking. I can't do that.
Second, something's wrong with the fastboot driver on my computer. When get my phone into fastboot mode and plug it into the computer, device manager shows a device called "ASUS_I005D" with an orange caution icon on it. The error message in the properties menu says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (code 28)"
Windows isn't finding a driver with its online driver search.
Does anyone know where I can find the correct driver?

Edit:
I have tried different wires and I am using the side port of the phone and not the bottom port.
1 REPLY 1

ZT-6ba223c6
Rising Star I