This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode updates please

dgw
Star III
Can we get Unicode 14 (and maybe 15, now) in an upcoming system update?
Frustrated with the "box of shame" on A12 WW build .243
3 REPLIES 3

BPM
Rising Star II
I'm not 100% sure on how this works, but I believe the Unicode support is going to be tied to the version of Android itself. As far as can tell, Android 12 supports Unicode 13? Android 12L (an update adding better support for tablets and foldable devices) added Unicode 14 support.
Based on what I've been able to find out, the emoji font can now be updated separately from Android itself as of Android 12. I'm not sure, though, if Google pushes out the updates directly or if that's still reliant upon the phone manufacturer to update.

dgw
Star III
Right, the ideal here would be ASUS either confirming that they plan to push an update to enable it, or confirming that the phone's OS build is set up so Google can push it through Play Services (or whichever channel; my research the other day was very confusing as there are at least two different avenues to update the available emoji that supposedly launched with Android 12).
I wouldn't complain if we got 12L either, but won't hold my breath for that. We're already two system updates in.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.