ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

Starlord
Star III
screenshot-20200907-195029983-281-29.jpg
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/109914#Comment_109914

ROG Phone 3 has never had Wide Color gamut as an option so I wouldn't call it disabled. Instead we have more options. Cinematic is the one closest to Wide Color Gamut. Cinematic is calibrated for the DCI-P3 target and Standard for the sRGB. Default/natural is more our own preference.

I have already replied regarding the black crush issue. We're still tuning and until we're done, there's nothing for me to say. This is why seem quiet to you but I assure you that we read every post in this thread.

View post
screenshot-20200907-195100526.jpg
@Anders_ASUS I'm not talking about the options you get under "splendid". Before the .58 update the wide colour gamut was working on the display but it seems to have stopped after the .58 update. That's what I meant. Please do pass this on to your devs. And it would be really helpful if you can shed some light on the timeline for the next updates. Please do check the screenshots. Thank you

Aryan202
Community Legend I
Starlord

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/110157#Comment_110157

@Anders_ASUS I'm not talking about the options you get under "splendid". Before the .58 update the wide colour gamut was working on the display but it seems to have stopped after the .58 update. That's what I meant. Please do pass this on to your devs. And it would be really helpful if you can shed some light on the timeline for the next updates. Please do check the screenshots. Thank you

View post
Try checking with other app maybe ?
DRM Info - Apps on Google PlayTry this

Aryan202
Community Legend I
4zmail

I have been out and about looking for alternates. Naturally, no store will carry a less than perfect screen.

It does seem that the issue is predominantly with AMOLEDs. Or am I wrong?

View post
True almost all recent high hz OLED phones have had one issue or the other
It's just the disadvantage of the technology right now
Maybe micro leds will solve it who knows 🙂
Micro led is the best of both ips and OLED tho,that's promising

santhosh_h_v
Star III
Averan

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/110181#Comment_110181

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note/Black-Crush-issue/td-p/5373722

https://www.androidauthority.com/problems-with-the-samsung-galaxy-note-20-series-and-how-to-fix-them...

https://www.tomsguide.com/amp/news/samsung-galaxy-note-20-ultra-may-have-a-big-display-problem#refer...

Ahem

screenshot-20200907-193903045.jpg

Damn 1 lakh inr

So let's pretend after selling a 50k Rog you went for a 1lakh inr samsung,still I see display related complains 😄

*considering the phone just launched*

And 3.9 star rating on a 1lakh phone doesn't really fill me with confidence

View post
Lets not pretend, I have attached the screenshots for you .. Believe me , once I got my hands burnt with ROG3, I really tried hard to find the issues with the display on note 20 ultra.. Couldn't find it .. Also How many people are raising this issue vs ROG3 ? ROG3 was not at all watchable, try watching the movie "project power " (netflix) on ROG3, it was horrible to watch (even with screen balance app).. The issue is real. if its only a software issue, I am happy for you all .. If not, then living with this issue is gonna be unbearable. I may have an OCD towards display issue, but this is my opinion.

Also when you pay 95K (which is what i paid with an offer), you are bound to have people with even more insane expectation (battery is an issue for me though). Just an honest opinion.
Below attached pictures shows how the note 20 ultra handles tricky darker videos.
img-20200907-wa0001.jpg
img-20200907-wa0000.jpg

Thunder_Demon
Star III
santhosh.h.v

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/110186#Comment_110186

Believe me , once I got my hands burnt with ROG3, I really tried hard to find the issues with the display on note 20 ultra.. Couldn't find it .. Also How many people are raising this issue vs ROG3 ? ROG3 was not at all watchable, try watching the movie "project power " (netflix) on ROG3, it was horrible to watch (even with screen balance app).. The issue is real. if its only a software issue, I am happy for you all .. If not, then living with this issue is gonna be unbearable. I may have an OCD towards display issue, but this is my opinion.

Also when you pay 95K (which is what i paid with an offer), you are bound to have people with even more insane expectation (battery is an issue for me though). Just an honest opinion.

Below attached pictures shows how the note 20 ultra handles tricky darker videos.

img-20200907-wa0001.jpg

img-20200907-wa0000.jpg

View post
Not many reviews cos the note 20 is insanely pricey
In price sensitive markets like India only a handful of people will actually buy it
And I've seen that it still has green tint(user complains),slight black crush and honestly that punch hole looks bad and stereo output and performance will be nowhere near Rog
Plus it's calibrated as a 120hz screen and the fact that's in an in-house panel means better calibration by samsung
Rog 3 is calibrated as a 144hz display
We Rog users are power users no way we'll take that underpowered crappy Exynos and shit thermals (the gpu is very weak compared to 865)
Exynos is so crap, samsung Snapdragon vs Exynos have so much performance difference,plus larger heatsink in Snapdragon models
I won't be paying 1 lakh for a Exynos tbh and I don't like one ui,it's aesthetic and the fact that it's bloated
And I'm more that fine with rog's display and with the phone overall,the touch sampling rate,touch latency,air triggers provide a user good experience
I trust Asus to calibrate the display more in further updates