ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

4zmail
Star III
jayesh.sugand

Thanks for your response @Anders_ASUS Could you acknowledge that the black crush issue is indeed a software and not a hardware / panel issue? Most of the people here including me would be relieved if it is made clear publicly that the black crush issue will be resolved once the asus team has completed tuning. At the moment there is alot of frustration since Asus hasn't even acknowledged that and I'm sure many people who are thinking of buying the phone are skeptical because of this black crush problem.

View post
I am more than skeptical. While some "teething" issues are normal for any new product, it seems that 1) the phone was released prematurely, and 2) there isn't much QC somewhere in the pipeline.
It's obvious that the phones sent to the youtube reviewers were hand-picked, if so many people here are having screen issues.
Still no word on the other issues? Overheating? US release date???!??
Or do they have nothing to say until they are done "tuning"?

4zmail
Star III
@Anders_ASUS What's your day job? There's 18 pages of this thread alone. Your customers question ASUS' end of this. Yet, through all of it, they still want to love you. They still want to buy and love your products. How about a little reciprocation? Maybe there isn't much new on your tuning side. But flagship money deserves flagship customer service. Even if that is repeating yourself.
If you do indeed read every post here, than perhaps you can comment on:
The USA release? Any idea of when? Originally it was going to be September, but something tells me that ASUS will not be.
An ETA of an actual fix, and not a workaround so that people can use the phone to the degree that they expected when they spent the money on it? And to the way that the phone was promoted, marketed, and sold?
A comment of how this issue was only discovered by the people who bought the phone, and not any of the testers, manufacturers, QC, etc?

Thunder_Demon
Star III
Guys chill a bit
Anders has said multiple times that Asus is looking into it
I have used other high refresh rate phones like oneplus 8 Pro, pixel 4 and Samsung a71
And every one of them had display issues including tint and black crush
The worst out of the lot was oneplus 8 Pro (a guy I know got it and after 2 bad replacements got refund)
That phone had so many issues including un uniform tint with artifacts on display, black crush and black bar around the punch hole area (at low brightness that's noticeable and looks bad) plus that phone can't go into full screen mode in some apps like Netflix etc (the punch hole area will be blacked out )
That effectively ruins the multimedia experience
Oneplus did push a ota to "fix black crush and tint" but in reality all did was increase minimum brightness but the issue is still there I can say that as I've seen 8pro's manufactured in June-july still having the issue
So if major youtubers or sites said op fixed them those articles are click bait or they aren't telling you the truth
and comparing both oneplus 8 Pro and rog phone 3 side by side I can say that are you Rog 3 is so much better in many key areas
If Asus calibrates the display a bit more I'll be happy as I don't generally pay attention to how my display looks at low brightness 😅
I prefer watching my content not the black crush
Just don't be paranoid about it and you'll be fine
Plus I like the new Zen UI more and it has way more features

Thunder_Demon
Star III
For potential buyers or those who have recently bought the phone just get out of this forum lol that's all I will say to you
If you witch hunt for issues in any phone you'll find them and that's a truth
And it's no hidden fact that high hz OLEDs come with their fair share of cons,OLED tech in general has a number of disadvantages which I'm sure most know about
Avoid forums as long as you don't have an actual issue to ask help for as you'll just get more anxious reading the posts here
For anyone needing any community help join this telegram group : @ROGPhoneSeriesDiscussion
This is both for Rog 2/3 buyers

4zmail
Star III
1) That is a really fun sounding name, Thunder Demon. Got me to smile.
2) You're right. This is a scary place to be.
3) Yet a smart choice, because while I have Flagship phone money earmarked, it's still a serious investment.
4) In addition to finding out if I should make that investment, I'm trying to find out when.
5) I was recently told that @Anders_ASUS is one of the best, from someone whose input I value. So I'll cut some slack here.
Still need to know about the USA release.