ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

BurgerKingCrown
Star III
@botboy444 not really, I just look at things from consumer perspective. If it happened when I bought an Iphone for example, I'd nag on Apple for that. Perfectly normal to me, but feel welcome to prove me otherwise.
Before the purchase I didn't see no disclaimer that the phone's screen performs worse in lower brightness, or that refresh rate affects the phones screen in any other way than making the content silky smooth (and maybe draining the battery a bit more). Instead, you know what I saw?
"To ensure that visuals on ROG Phone 3 look just like the developer intended, each display is carefully color-calibrated to ensure a Delta-E value of less than 1" and other bs like it - that's from Rog Phone 3's official page btw.
You make a perfectly valid point - just return the phone and I tried to do so. But seriously dude, calling me a princess because I got mad for being freaking scammed - not getting what I paid for and also getting my device even further damaged during an Asus issued service repair? Wanna settle for such nonsense, be my guest - I'm not going to.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
BurgerKingCrownMan

@botboy444 not really, I just look at things from consumer perspective. If it happened when I bought an Iphone for example, I'd nag on Apple for that. Perfectly normal to me, but feel welcome to prove me otherwise.

Before the purchase I didn't see no disclaimer that the phone's screen performs worse in lower brightness, or that refresh rate affects the phones screen in any other way than making the content silky smooth (and maybe draining the battery a bit more). Instead, you know what I saw?

"To ensure that visuals on ROG Phone 3 look just like the developer intended, each display is carefully color-calibrated to ensure a Delta-E value of less than 1" and other bs like it - that's from Rog Phone 3's official page btw.

You make a perfectly valid point - just return the phone and I tried to do so. But seriously dude, calling me a princess because I got mad for being freaking scammed - not getting what I paid for and also getting my device even further damaged during an Asus issued service repair? Wanna settle for such nonsense, be my guest - I'm not going to.

View post
Then how about you do research before buying anything?
Also asus never lied. Your ignorance is the one that scammed you if anything. Asus claim with color calibration isnt exacly a lie. What it does badly is grayscale which causes shifting colors and black crush.

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/150222#Comment_150222

Then how about you do research before buying anything?

Also asus never lied. Your ignorance is the one that scammed you if anything. Asus claim with color calibration isnt exacly a lie. What it does badly is grayscale which causes shifting colors and black crush.

View post
Exactly,Asus never lied,it's colours are vibrant and more accurate than on any other phone,and in gaming unless it's a 3d bs horror game,you won't see any black crush,and besides since we are talking about how it was advertised,let me remind you that it was described as a GAMING BEHEMOTH or BEAST etc,which means,again,that people will buy the phone to game instead of watching the whole Netflix catalog...

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
botboy444

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/150216#Comment_150216

Mine seems to have a better screen than most from all the complaining I've seen on the forum.

No real blackcrush, the only things I have is a the reddish tint at 160hz with low brightness, which is very easily fixed by upping the brightness lol.

Thing is though, it's not on videos or while gaming, more so just basic usage like messages and browsing the internet, so I don't see what the problem is and why it's so hard to up the brightness a tiny bit as it isn't *that* noticeable

If you're complaining about the screen on the phone, look up how bad it can be on the original PlayStation Vita which also has an OLED screen.

There's only about 25% brightness change from full to low brightness, and on blacks the screens blotchy, but it's no real issue whatsoever lol

View post
My case is almost exactly as yours but my red tint might be a hardware issue,which I don't really care since I Game instead of watching the whole batman trilogy lmao

BurgerKingCrown
Star III
Never mind, thanks for the help guys. I'm just gonna try to replace/repair it. Hope this time it won't come back damaged.