gugul
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog Phone 3
Firmware Version: 17.0823.2009.99
Rooted or not: Not Rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Asus Camera
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Noticed it today only; in the latest update something has been gone awry in the camera app. The main lens takes nice photos with great sharpness, but the white balance is inaccurate (though can be corrected through editing, so not a big deal).
On the other hand, the ultra Wide cam is completely refusing to focus. Tap to focus is not working in this mode. No detail is there. Though it captures the white balance correctly, it fails miserably in capturing the details of a scene. I understand it can't give as much clarity as the main camera, but it shouldn't be like this too.
Hereby I'm attaching 2 photos for reference. You can see how the ultra Wide cam performs very poorly.
Steps I have taken to troubleshoot on my own:-
1. Cleared the cache and storage of camera app.
2. Restated to safe mode to check there, tough luck.
I Can't reset as there are too many data I have to deal with.
p-20201107-161154-1.jpg
p-20201107-161214-1.jpg
It literally looks like I have captured these photos from 2 different mobiles, but that's not the case.
Kindly look into this matter and address it ASAP. @Gustav_ASUS , @Anders_ASUS , @ARP_ASUS
Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

gugul
Rising Star II
Gustav_ASUS

@nightmaster552 @gugul Can you help us out with device logs for this one? I'll send you instructions via PM.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention by the way.

View post
@Gustav_ASUS sure! Why not. Send me instructions regarding the procedure to log the device. I'll do it and send it to you.
Thank you.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@gugul @nightmaster552
Quick update: The ultra wide lens on the ROG 3 is a fixed focus type. As such there is no manual or auto focus, and this has been the case since release. As for any apparent decrease in picture quality, I've asked if any changes were made to the camera app with the .99 update.

gugul
Rising Star II
Gustav_ASUS

@gugul @nightmaster552

Quick update: The ultra wide lens on the ROG 3 is a fixed focus type. As such there is no manual or auto focus, and this has been the case since release. As for any apparent decrease in picture quality, I've asked if any changes were made to the camera app with the .99 update.

View post
@Gustav_ASUS Thanks for the update. Please let us know about the picture quality depreciation. It was all good till .78; Let us know ASAP.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Gustav_ASUS

@gugul @nightmaster552

View post
I tested on another camera app and you're right, the Ultrawide cannot focus, however disabling the "focus" feature is a problem especially in the "automatic" part of the app as people use the tapping as a way for the automatic camera to adjust the exposure, losing the ability to let the application adjust exposure depending on where someone taps results in horrid images like in OP's post. The exposure was 2 low hence the detail on his black headphone cable is completely lost and there is no way for him to fix that unless he goes to pro mode, which in turn makes him have to not only dial manual settings but also lose his auto HDR.