PST2021
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 3
Firmware Version: .138
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: High
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Majority of Apps
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi I am facing black crush issue. I have purchased the device in Oct 2021 and is running on Android 11, FW .138 but having black crush. Please help how to resolve it.
19 REPLIES 19

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Jesp.r

There is much talk that it can be a licensing problem, and that pixelworks can sue asus if they change the calibration without their consent, but, if the blackcrush is a licensing problem, I think it is Asus who should report or sue pixelworks for doing a lousy screen calibration. Due to a poor pixelworks calibration, Asus is having serious problems with one of its flagship devices. In addition Asus will have paid to obtain the pixelworks license, they promised Asus a specific calibration, and they have done it wrong. They are damages that we are all paying, Asus included.

View post
Thats not how it works. Asus probably agreed to the calibration without checking on color banding on greyscale on lower brightness. You could argue asus should get better at quality control. However since they agreed on the calibration there isnt anything asus can do about it.

Jesp_r
Rising Star II
But I don't understand one thing. If pixelworks is supposed to calibrate the screen .. Asus should claim the "guarantee" if the work is badly done .. (I don't know if there is a guarantee for that, but everything in this world has a guarantee ..) but I don't understand how they can give a license to a poorly calibrated screen .. that is, it is assumed that if the screen does not meet the specifications, it does not get the license, am I right? So ... I think Asus calibrated the screen, and pixelworks only put their name in exchange for money, it's all marketing, pixelworks can't have calibrated the screen because if so, Asus would have sued them. It is as if I obtain the COVID certificate without having the vaccine .. if I later catch COVID, I cannot sue anyone because I do not have the vaccine and I have obtained a certificate in exchange for money .. Well, the same thing may have happened with Asus and pixelworks. I don't know if you understood me, I feel my language, as you know, I use Google translator.

RAIDEN_
Rising Star II
Jesp.r

But I don't understand one thing. If pixelworks is supposed to calibrate the screen .. Asus should claim the "guarantee" if the work is badly done .. (I don't know if there is a guarantee for that, but everything in this world has a guarantee ..) but I don't understand how they can give a license to a poorly calibrated screen .. that is, it is assumed that if the screen does not meet the specifications, it does not get the license, am I right? So ... I think Asus calibrated the screen, and pixelworks only put their name in exchange for money, it's all marketing, pixelworks can't have calibrated the screen because if so, Asus would have sued them. It is as if I obtain the COVID certificate without having the vaccine .. if I later catch COVID, I cannot sue anyone because I do not have the vaccine and I have obtained a certificate in exchange for money .. Well, the same thing may have happened with Asus and pixelworks. I don't know if you understood me, I feel my language, as you know, I use Google translator.

View post
We understand even Google translated it's very clear. But what can we do now ? Asus doesn't give a damm about this phone nor 5.

Jesp_r
Rising Star II
I believe that Asus will never fix this problem. If it was important to them they would have fixed it by now, a month or two after launch. Now a year later and with two new phones on the market ... I highly doubt they will do anything.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Jesp.r

View post
Thats not how it works. What most likely happened was:
Pixelworks did the calibration for asus. Asus asked them because rog2 users where complaining about black crush. So pixelworks calibrated the screen with a gamma that is to high which would cause colorbanding. It looks fine on high brightness and certain scenes. Asus looked at it, checked how it looked on certain scenes and it looked fine. They then approved on it and the deal was finished. Later users discovered that the color banding happens on lower brightness due to the out of whack gamma levels. However asus did already agree to the calibration. They purchased a license to sell the pixelworks software and 1 calibration, they did NOT buy a calibration service, but only 1 calibration profile.
The main issue here is that in order to fix this issue completely aka have no color banding and no black crush requires a new system that dynamicly changes the display based on certain conditions.
On my kernel i had to write a system that would do exacly that. Its not just "lets calibrate the screen" it requires a new system that has to be implemented in order to function properly this is something that would be very costly and simply wouldnt make much sense for asus to invest in as it takes a lot of time which in turn means a lot of money. Also based on device the result may vary.